Best Books on Irish Crochet?

HomekeepingGran

I just ordered Masterpieces of Irish Crochet Lace: Techniques, Patterns, Instructions and Favorite Irish Crochet Designs, both from the Dover Needlework Series. Although I probably won't get anything else soon I THINK I would like to learn Irish crochet and am wondering what other books might be best to look at? Irish crochet is gorgeous and it would be special to learn the techniques.

My favorite Irish Crochet books are the Priscilla Irish Crochet Technique and project books, Both 1 and 2. They were the most helpful. I own an original copy of the book you ordered. It is complete with the linen pattern plates. One of my treasures.

You can find lots of book on Irish crochet at this site. http://antiquepatternlibrary.org I have used and or own many of the books here. It's a great site with a wealth of informative books.

Whoa! That's amazing, Kathy! Thanks so much; I'm bookmarking it, obviously! Half the morning I've been poking around the 'Net looking for stuff on Irish crochet and here you readily supply an amazing link! I understand you are are resident authority on Irish crochet. I've looked at your site and seen your lovely work. It's nice to get a tip from the mistress of the technique!

Oh there are a lot of skilled people out there doing Irish Crochet. I am just a lover of the art form and promote it whenever I have a chance. So I wouldn't call myself the mistress of the technique, Just a strong advocate of it.

I agree with Kathy on this one...I have the Priscilla book I, and the Masterpieces, et al. by Terese de Dilmont. It can be rather confusing to read some of the instructions, but after a bit of practice, it begins to make sense. When you start, it may be helpful to have a couple different thread sizes on-hand. For instance, with size 30 thread make sure you have a matching size 10, and for size 10, I've used fingering or worsted weight kitchen cotton. You'll need the larger sizes for padding cord to make the more 3-dimensional pieces. I'm still learning, myself. It's also kind of fun to make up your own motifs, once you get the basic pieces down. I'd like to try some of these pieces in worsted-weight, as well, just to see what I can come up with. Btw, there's a CAL that hasn't had any posts since February, so if you have any motifs or such worked up, please post (I think it's 3-4 pages back).

Thanks, Tracey. I wondered if worsted kitchen cotton might not be good with #10 thread for practice. I've got a thread doily on the hook now as well as an afghan going. I'm not at all good with multiple projects, so something has to be finished before I do more than just read about Irish crochet. And thanks for the heads-up on the CAL. I'll look for it!

IvaRose has tons of great books on Irish Crochet and Iva Rose is a Crochetville member. I have ordered from her before and she's fast on delivery. I think she has every Priscilla book there is plus tons more. I've never been disappointed with any of her products.

diamond, thank you! I bookmarked Iva Rose and will probably make an order! :D Which book do you like best for a rank Irish crochet beginner? I just ordered a couple (as I mentioned in the first post of this thread) which should be here soon. I need to back off some, really, because I've ordered several books lately. (Ahem.)

I'm getting the idea from you gals that the Priscilla series is favored. Is this right?

I'm with everyone else on the Priscilla series. They are truly the best. I have Book 1 & 2 in the series. And 'The Art of Crocheting' is also another great book (published by The Butterick Publishing Co. in Sept. 1895 numbers are correct) all bought from IvaRose

Archived