Pine Ridge Elders

SassyThreads

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that we have alot of elders on Pine Ridge that can sure use sponsors. At craftingforacause we adopt an elder from the reservation and send them a small gift each month. We make comfortghans, slippers, hats and scarves for them as well as send many other items. If you have been wanting to help Pine Ridge in some small

way, this is a great way to do it.

I have learned a great deal about my elder and her ways in the last year that I have been sponsoring her. They our beautiful people that need our help.

I sent a request to join the group. I belong to several other groups who do for Pine Ridge and I sponsor a little girl from there. I like making slippers. When you read the statistics for the Rez it is sickening how they live.

• 1 month later...

I am still thinking about sponsoring an elder. Give me a couple more days to think about it. I know there is not a lot involved, but I want to finish a few other things before I put something else in the pot. How many elders do you have waiting to be matched up with someone?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftingForACause/

Here is a link for the group. Pine Ridge is an Indain reservation ("rez") in SD. It is one of the poorest areas in our country. In Crafting for a Cause (CFAC), we can adopt an elder on the rez by sending a letter or care package once a month. We also send layettes to the newborn unit at the local hospital. CFAC also has 2 other causes we support...the UC Davis Children's cancer center in CA and the Hartwych Trauma Center in NJ. Please come check us out. We help a lot of people and have fun while we are doing this.

Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is located in South Dakota. It is considered one of the poorest areas in the country, as Walker1021 said. In CFAC we have established contacts on Pine Ridge who get the things we send directly to those in need.

The weather conditions on Pine Ridge are harsh, bitter cold in winter and hot in the summer, and many of the Elders suffer from the cold or heat. Uncomplaining, they are often responsible for several young grandchildren as the parents have either left for the cities to try and earn a living or are unable to care for the children. In their culture of caring for their families, many Elders do without in order to provide for the children.

• 1 month later...

Now is a good time to think about making winter items for the Pine Ridge reservation. If anyone is interested just email me or come to our website and join us:yay :yay

We can always use new hands to craft for our charities. :manyheart

I'm going to join the yahoo group. I'm starting to get the hang of knitting wool socks, and this sounds like a good use for them!

Ktrion:yay

:cheer YEAH!! Those socks will definately be put to good use this winter. thanks so much for wanting to help out!:hook

Basicly anything and everything to keep a person warm. In winter the plains are bitter cold, and many houses don't have central heat. Children walk to school in snow, so mittens, hats, scarves, socks, and sweaters are needed. A family may have only a fire to keep warm, and sadly, in bad years there are elders who freeze to death having given their blankets to the children to keep them warm. Last year, when families didn't have fuel for the fire, some were burning old clothing to keep the fires going. Crafting for a Cause helps support a propane fund to get much needed fuel to desperate families.

I was asking because I can be a slow crocheter (full time job, husband, and child) I just wanted to make sure small items were ok as well. I definitely can't do an afghan a month! But I'd love to help and I just sent a request to join your group. :)

I was asking because I can be a slow crocheter (full time job, husband, and child) I just wanted to make sure small items were ok as well. I definitely can't do an afghan a month! But I'd love to help and I just sent a request to join your group. :)

We only ask for one donation a quarter. Whether it be a small item (mittens) or a large item (Afghan), it does not matter. We totally understand that everyone can only do as much as they can. Thank you for coming and joining us. (And as Kathy has said in previous posts - we have fun things to do too. )

My pleasure! I've been wanting to do some charity work and this sounds like a great cause!

Edited to add: I responded to your e-mail Jana. Probably more info than you needed. :)

I'm joining the Yahoo group, too. :yes I plan on contributing to the quarterly program rather than sponser an elder monthly. I just can't swing it with everything else. :juggle I do, however, plan on sending afghans and winter wear on a regular basis. I hope that is acceptable. :)

I'm joining the Yahoo group, too. :yes I plan on contributing to the quarterly program rather than sponser an elder monthly. I just can't swing it with everything else. :juggle I do, however, plan on sending afghans and winter wear on a regular basis. I hope that is acceptable. :)

Sounds like you are juggling alot lol What ever you can send is more than acceptable. We are really happy to have you join us!

This is totally off the crochet chart, but I eat a LOT of cereal and that would be Cheerios. I have a bunch of those 10 cent coupons that can sent to schools (Box tops for education). I want to send them to the coordinator for the school on the reservation, but I can't figure out who to send them to. You have to have information about the school and city before you can look it up. So - - - - can anyone get this info from someone there on the reservation?

This is totally off the crochet chart, but I eat a LOT of cereal and that would be Cheerios. I have a bunch of those 10 cent coupons that can sent to schools (Box tops for education). I want to send them to the coordinator for the school on the reservation, but I can't figure out who to send them to. You have to have information about the school and city before you can look it up. So - - - - can anyone get this info from someone there on the reservation?

Here is the address we send our boxtops to:

Red Cloud Middle School

Attn Kris House

100 Mission DR.

Pine Ridge SD 57770

Thanks so much for thinking of the kids and families on the Rez!

• 2 weeks later...

You're exactly right Jozzie. All we ask of members is one item a quarter, and sponsoring an Elder or child is optional. But do you realize if everyone here makes one item how many warm people we'll have? I know that by myself, I can't do much, but working together we can make such a difference. And we have so much fun doing it, too.

Archived