Gone With the Wind

I was crocheting to Gone With the Wind tonight, and there's crochet all over this movie! Mamie wears a granny square shawl when Scarlett visits Rhett in Atlanta, and the women are all sitting and crocheting while the men are out in their "political meeting." (That's the part that's on now. Back to the movie!)

I've never thought of the wrap that Mammy wears as a shawl.

I've always seen it as an afghan that was put to use to keep her warm, because the family was too destitute after the war to afford a regular wrap. (similar to the "portieres" being used to make Scarlett's green dress).

Just my take on the subject.

I've never thought of the wrap that Mammy wears as a shawl.

I've always seen it as an afghan that was put to use to keep her warm, because the family was too destitute after the war to afford a regular wrap. (similar to the "portieres" being used to make Scarlett's green dress).

Just my take on the subject.

Well whether it was intended to be an afghan or a shawl, it was still made from granny squares. :hook

• 2 weeks later...

I love that movie. Now I want to watch it again! :lol I was reading the book just a little while back now, and every time it mentioned a shawl or a shoulder cover-up, I imagined that it was crocheted! :D

A hundred years ago woman did a lot of crocheting, quilting and knitting. When it's in a movie or on TV show about the 17 - 1800's, I notice it . BTW, I think there was a granny square afghan on the couch in the Rosanne show.

Ellie 13

Archived