Do the math?

I have been searching past posts on the topic of "math" in crochet. Found some good information which got me to thinking: Has anyone ever heard of a "chart", instructions, etc all in one place for Math in Crochet?

Does anyone have a "cheat sheet" they could share? When it comes to using/doing the math in crochet, I am math challenged:think :)

My hats off to all the great designers here at the Ville! Beautiful work:yarn

I was just thinking of that the other day; I'd love to find all the "math" stuff in one place.

The Crochet Answer Book has some of it; how many DCs to put in the first round to make certain shapes, for instance, but I'd love to know how many dcs to do to get different shape stars with different points, etc.

A good stitch encyclopedia will ALWAYS have stitch multiples and will explain how to use them for all the stitches they show; some of the "learn three hundred million new stitches and make an afghan/a zillion dishcloths/a pile of squares you'll never join" books don't always have stitch multiples, so you can only ever make the size square they specify, unless you can reverse engineer their math - which I can never do!

But I'd love a rule of thumb that says if a pattern has a repeat of 5 stitches, it has a multiple of ____. It's probably totally obvious to experienced designers, but not to me yet!

If I'm trying to change the size of something, usually it works to count the number of stitches used between the *s. That will be your repeat. Multiply that by however many repeats you want to make.

Then count the stitches before and after the * and add them on. And I usually chain a few extra just in case! You can always take the extra chains out later.

Actually, I'm in the process of designing an item (wearable) and I'm using almost nothing BUT math.

It's going to be a simple pattern, based on the size and fit of another item already owned.

What I did was take the yarn and hook I'm going to be using and made a gauge swatch - 5 stitches across by 5 rows high. I measured that, and did the math to figure out how many stitches and how many rows I'm going to need.

I haven't started the actual crocheting process yet, though, so I don't know how accurate my calculations are.

I don't know if there's anywhere on the 'net for pointers on how to do this, but I got my own inspiration from Mrs. Who's shrug pattern here. (You can find it in the original patterns section.) I don't know exactly where she got HER inspiration for it, but she inspired my OWN design idea.

Thank you for your replies. I was begining to think I was the only one with math questions.:) and wanting a "one stop" type of form/sheet. I will check out the information you have provided. Thanks again for the feedback:yarn

PS

My interest in the math is because of all the creative folks at Cville. I have been crocheting for a long time but only followed patters/directions.

Fascinating topic. I tried to find a chart, to no avail. I found this though...talk about confirmation of a theory.

http://www.math.cornell.edu/~dwh/books/eg99/Ch05/Ch05.html

I only took the "required" algebra courses in college. While I can boast an A- in both classes, it was graded on a curve and I literally dedicated my every breathing moment for the entire 12 weeks of both courses to "solving problems". If I didn't get a C, I was going to have to come up with the $1200 that my employer paid for EACH course. Anyway...the moment I completed my final exam in the 2nd course I think I washed it all away from my memory.

but I must have remembered something. Algebraic functions are based on a graph. Since what we are crocheting is basically graphable...everything we do in crochet is an algebraic function. We could create variables to the function and using a formula alter the entire pattern.

Its not worth thinking about it...my brain hurts just thinking about it.

Bocabeignet: What kind of math are you thinking? Perhaps multiples of stitches/stitch patterns? Stitches used per size/gauge? For wearables or just anything? Geometrical math? Vertical or horizontal? This is a good idea in theory, I think.

Maybe some of the mathematical geniuses on here could work up a formula based on one of these areas and post it in a given spot, and maybe AmyS could put a sticky on it for those of us who would use it (no pressure there, huh?). I did, however, find a link last year on how to formulate for a Faroese shawl (love those things!). It basically helps one figure out the pattern sequence for one of these things, and it has a worksheet for a designer to print up and fill out. You just have to know how to do basic math (add, subtract, multiply, divide) and plug in your numbers. There's a bit of percentages you'd have to know how to figure, though, after looking at the site again. To gain access to the worksheet, simply scroll down to the bottom of the page. It does help to read this first page, though. I'm sure by using this info for a shawl, it would be a springboard for those proficient in geometry to figure out some formulas to make various wearables. Also, there are some great tutorials on shaping, etc. over on CrochetMe, and I was just reading an article on Annie's Attic yesterday on shaping vertically-crocheted sweaters. Perhaps somebody could use the info on all these pages to come up with one place to look for this stuff?

Thank you for your input and great links etc. In addition to the math issue in crochet, I would also like to see an explanation of "good foundation" information. I found this some place, maybe here on the Ville:

i.e. 1st sc = 2nd ch fr hook

Love the information everyone is sharing. A big thank you to all. In addition to the math information I found this information some place ..

1st sc = 2nd ch fr hook

1st hdc = 3rd ch fr hook

1st dc = 4th ch fr hook

1st tr = 5th ch fr hook

This could have been posted here, I have been researching so much I forget what's what.

I have been crocheting for a long time by following patterns and not knowing the "why" I am doing what is written. As long as it comes out like they say I have been happy. Now I have been inspired by the great designers and crocheters here at the Ville to try some ideas of my own but don't have a basic rule of thumb to create my pattern. The math postings will really help me, again thanks. Does anyone have any other "foundation" rules they use?

Thanks again, I'm off to do the math:hook

Archived