Free Form Conformity

luciucantsayit

Argh! Have you ever made a free-form piece, and about three-quarters of the way through, you notice that not only are all the "different" threads you used are pretty much the same thread, different color-- you also notice that all the stitches are the same size, and there definite conformity to your non-conformity?

It's driving me crazy. I am having issues incorporating differences. I get different textures, then they are all the same color. I get different colors-- I can't seem to deal with thread size and textures.

How did you overcome the "All Nice And Neat" monster?

L

:lol :lol :lol I haven't tried freeform but I've always suspected that the "nice and neat monster" would overwhelm me as well. Therefore, I stick with nice and neat designs. I know myself too well! Perhaps a glass of an adult beverage or two? :)

Spontaneous crochet requires prior planning. I know this sounds like an oxymoron, but try this: Take all the yarn you want to use in your freeform piece and put it on a table all together. Jumble it up, play with it, and throw out all the dull stuff. This will allow you to see ahead of time if you're going to be too "matchy" with your yarn or colors.

• 1 month later...

Awwww... no worries. If you try too hard then you will ruin the experience.

Everyone's idea of free-form is different and the basic idea is to just go with the flow and if your flow means some uniform stitches then so be it. Perhaps you are really free with the fibers you use or the shape of your work.

But there is no right or wrong with freeform.

:)

As with all art, the most beautiful pieces are going to have some common element in composition. The colors will all be in the same hue, for example, or the few large stitches on the left side will be balanced with the many smaller stitches on the right side. The yarns will complement each other.

Trust your instincts and don't worry about it being "non-conformist." If you think of your pieces as art, rather than exercises in supreme non-conformity, you might find that you all these elements you don't like are the ones that make your work look the best! What makes your work unique is your creativity.

I would definitely play with your yarn, mix and match it all up, before just starting. A little bit of planning can truly go a long way.

(This is advice from my crazy-quilting point of view, which has many elements in common with scrumbling and freeform crochet.)

Scrumble away! ~ Joy

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the idea of looking at all your proposed colors and textures

first, and also with deciding on whatever final shape you want to create....you might try these ideas:

1. select a range of one color, for example blues, then a complementary color

2. create several small scrumble pieces composed of different yarns & threads, then fit them together like a puzzle and fill in with alternating lacy and dense areas.

Books by Sylvia Cosh and James Walters or Prudence Mapstone can give you other ideas.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I think useing more novelty yarns (eyelash, curly, knubby)and different weights (sportweight to super chunky) Would help to create a bit more non-conformity!

Archived