How do you build a stash?

Here's an idea for those with ginormous stashes that have more yarn than they'll ever be able to use - you could ROAK some of it to new crocheters that don't have any stash!

Now, I do NOT need stash yarn, myself, but clearly, there are some who do!

I think most :yarn stashes are something that occur over time.

I have a lot of yarn that is left over from projects. I usually buy at least one more skein that the pattern calls for "Just to be safe". I have run out of yarn and couldn't match up the dye lot right at the end of a project way to many times so I learned my lesson.

I'm also a sucker for a sale :woo It usually some yarn I have been :drool drooling over for some time and it's a little too expensive to justify anything more than a scarf them BOOM it goes on sale and I can suddenly afford the 10 or 12 skeins needed for a project. So I buy and then it sits till I can get my :hook into it!

I usually figure on about 3 1lb balls of worsted weight yarn for most any single strand afghan pattern that's single color. And I estimate about 35 oz of worsted weight yarn to make most any sweater with spare yarn left to not come up short. Extras from projects can easily be used in ripples, squares, or scrapghans.

I buy almost all my yarn on sale now unless it's project specific and needed asap. Like when I found out one color needed changed for my Blue Star, I had to go out and get 2 replacement balls at full price.

I typically buy the same types of yarn so that leftovers can be used more easily in projects. Most of the yarn I have is Red Heart Supersaver, Caron Pounders, or Caron Simply Soft.

after reading all the responses, i think i may be your worst kind of stash-accumulator. i am a compulsive buyer with no self restraint abilities. i buy yarn for any ridiculous reason i can think of. cotton yarn is my favorite, i have one whole huge bin just of that. i love to buy cheap basic worsted weight yarns like caron perfect match, one pound, redheart, and some lion brand types just because you can always find something to make with worsted weight yarn (especially if you're into scrap afghans and amigurumis). i have a bunch of "funky" yarns (like patons pooch, caron bliss, bernat glacier, etc) that i asked for for christmas and now have no idea waht to do with. my addiction has caused me to seek out every michael's, ac moore, rag shop, walmart, and yarn shop (there's only one i know of in south jersey) within the state of new jersey.... because they all have different stuff!!! and of course you have to buy what one has that you know the other one doesn't because you don't know if you'll ever go back, or if they'll have it next time you go.

come on, i fessed up, who's next? lol

after reading all the responses, i think i may be your worst kind of stash-accumulator. i am a compulsive buyer with no self restraint abilities. i buy yarn for any ridiculous reason i can think of. cotton yarn is my favorite, i have one whole huge bin just of that. i love to buy cheap basic worsted weight yarns like caron perfect match, one pound, redheart, and some lion brand types just because you can always find something to make with worsted weight yarn (especially if you're into scrap afghans and amigurumis). i have a bunch of "funky" yarns (like patons pooch, caron bliss, bernat glacier, etc) that i asked for for christmas and now have no idea waht to do with. my addiction has caused me to seek out every michael's, ac moore, rag shop, walmart, and yarn shop (there's only one i know of in south jersey) within the state of new jersey.... because they all have different stuff!!! and of course you have to buy what one has that you know the other one doesn't because you don't know if you'll ever go back, or if they'll have it next time you go.

come on, i fessed up, who's next? lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have a huge tote full of Lion Boucle that I found at Dollar Tree. I bought 40 skeins of it. Also in that tote is Lion Brand Chenille. I found that at Hobby Lobby for $1 a skein as well. So I stocked up on it. I have no idea what I am going to make with all of it, so it sits.

I have a tote (not real big) of the 'Fun' Yarn (eyelash, boa, etc) just because it's fun :lol

I have at least 4 totes of acrylic yarn. I think I have almost every solid color of yarn made now. But my favorite is variegated. I'm working on getting all of those colors, too :lol

I find myself going to all the Michael's, WalMart's, Hobby Lobby's, JoAnn's, and wherever else sells yarn because they each have something that the other doesn't. I buy alot of RHSS, Caron Simply Soft and Hobby Lobby's 'I Love This Yarn'. If I don't have a specific project I'm buying for, I buy 'just because'.

And now I'm buying thread too :eek

Just remembered, I end up with a lot of white or black in my stash because if I don't have a project in mind and somehow end up in the yarn section, I will pick up white or black. I use white for edgings a lot on blankets, especially baby ones, and using white or black with another color (2 strand) works great on a lot of little gifts like potholders or scarfs. And helps if I need a quick gift and can't get to the store, I have another color to make a project with what is in my stash.

Debbi

Wow, I'm glad to see I'm not the only addict! I feel as if I've come home! I bought skeins for projects, but didn't really have a "stash" until my youngest's birth mom sent me a HUGE box of yarn for my thirtieth birthday. Hubby thought I was NUTS over how excited I got over yarn. He just doesn't get it!

Archived