More questions

Jens

Is filet crochet (following a chart/graph) different from following a pattern and making a dolly? Is this considered 2 different types of crocheting? I just finished a small fleur de lis from a graph. I enjoyed doing it but I would like to do a pineapple dolly from the book Leisure Arts (little books). The dolly says 'quick and easy'. It's a square dolly but starts in a circle. Are pineapple dollies hard? Another question how do I convert yards into grams? I bought some DMC thread that was 50 grams no idea how to convert this into the yards that the pattern calls for. I bought 2???

This would be my third thread project the first 2 I followed charts. I can read a crochet pattern (sometimes I have trouble but I've made a couple of easier afgans and baby blackets out of yarn) I'm still a beginner is this going to be to hard for me?

Thanks in advance.

Jen

I don't think the two are "different" but most doilies are done in the round where as fillet crochet is done back and forth. I guess that depends on what "you" mean by different.

I don't think pineapple doilies are particularly hard. If you have problems with a pattern you can always come here for some help if you don't understand the pattern. DMC Cebelia #10 has aprrox. 280 yards in a 50 g ball, not sure why the balls don't tell you that. I don't know how to calculate it. If for some reason a ball doesn't tell me yardage, I google for the thread and the store will usually tell me the yardage.

Hello Jen,

Many of crochet pieces are done by using basic stiches, some of them are more advanced than the others. Filet crochet usually goes line by line. Sometimes you can find circular filets too. Pineapple doilies are not more complicated than any other crochets, if you happen to have good instruction, it works just fine.

What size of threads you are writing about. size has different yardage. ( I use 20 gr size 30 threads and it holds 276 yards, some size 10 threads are 280 yards in 50 gr.

50 gr of size 10 thread makes good size of doily.( It depends on the pattern)

If you do not like to read the pattern, you can use diagrams, personally I am more comfortable with diagrams (I have language barrier)

Demet

I am using the DMC cebelia it's #10. I asked at hobby Lobby what the yardage was and the lady there had no idea. I guess 1 is plenty. Thanks for the replys.

Can you suggest any book with good intructions? I'm really teaching myself how to do this. My Great grandmother could do just about anything with thread but no one else in the family picked it up. So I'm am island by myself. This forum is going to help a lot! Thanks again.

Now that my kids are asleep I'm going to start again on the dolly...

Jennifer

Have you checked http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com ? There are tons of patterns and some tutorials that you may find helpful. I personally don't think there is more difficulty doing pineapples. Just follow your pattern. I agree with Demet concerning diagrams. I think diagrams are easier than a pattern when it comes to doilies and such. Hope this helps!!:hook

I also enjoy working from diagrams. But instructions with a decent pic will do.

I just finished my first project and it had pineapples (looks more like a strawberry to me!) and it was MUCH easier that I thought it would be.

Thanks for the replys and the links. I didn't think I'sd get this addicted....I have a throw I need to finish in yarn but it feel so bulky now.

Jennifer

I found a cute pattern here http://hometown.aol.com/lffunt/petitepine.htm

It is by Priscilla Hewitt, who has several neat things on the web. I have not made this, so I don't know how good the instructions are, but it does have a clear picture of the doily.

Personally I much prefer to have a stitch diagram to work from, but sometimes a good clear photo will work for me as well. I have some old Magic Crochet magazines that I love because of the diagrams.

You might want to check your local library. I have several books checked out right now, and one of my favorites is Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet. It has very clear instructions on the basics with illustrations (for left-handers too). It has instructions for one doily made of separate motifs, and several other motifs that could be combined. Also has several cute filet patterns,and a really good selection of stitches and edgings. It uses diagrams as well as written instructions.

Archived