Crochet Me online mag

DawnsRays

LOVE the book thong!

Actually prompted me to pick up a steel hook (eek!) and some size 10 thread!

Here's my question, for anyone who can answer it... I am also a beader, so when I take on a project that includes beads, I like detail in the supply list. Unfortunately, all this project suggests are beads with 2mm holes... no problem. But, since I have never worked this small before, I am having a hard time telling about what size the beads themselves should be.

Beads are generally measured by their diameter in mm, and I can't really tell from the photo if I should be aiming for, say, an 8mm or 10mm bead, or really cranking it up to 14mm or 16 mm beads...

I'm definitely going to experiment, and see what I have in my sizeable bead stash to work with, but I also order a lot of my beads online, so it would be cool to know what to order, so I can hand-pick some cool stuff (lampwork, cane glass, dichroic). :D

Thanks in advance to anyone with ideas. :D

Thank you, Suebee! :)) I didn't include bead size because (1) I'm not a beader and I didn't know any better, oops! and (2) the beads can be any size you like as long as the hole will fit over the the crocheted chain, it just depends on how big/heavy you want your book thong to be. The bead I used at the top was 12 mm, but it wasn't a sphere, it was kind of flat, but that's just because it's what I liked. The bead at the bottom is about 10 mm long and 7 mm in diameter. The spacer beads were about 3mm long.

Okay, so with that info and you being a beader, how should I have written up the details for the beads? I might be able to get Kim to add that info to the pattern. Thanks! :ty

Heh heh... I went through my collection with a mm ruler and a bead reamer, and I have a whole dish full of contenders... made two of them already.

One has an 11mm round bead at the top, and a 10mm cylinder on the bottom with two silver spacers.

bookthong.jpg

Haven't taken a picture of the second one yet... it's sage green with purple and copper beads... MINE! :D That one has a 14mm round bead at the top, and an 18mm cylinder at the bottom with the copper spacers. :D It's a lot heavier!

They go fast, but they're so fiddly! LOL! I hate slip stitch now! ;)

Might not be a bad idea just to add a range of bead sizes... just so people have an idea. At first I just could not picture how big it was going to be, but now I know since I made a couple. ;)

Thanks!

That looks fantastic, Suebee! :clap I would loooove to see others that you do! :camera

How was the pattern? Was everything clear? If not, please let me know 'cause I'd like to improve the instructions, if needed.

If you haven't worked with small hooks before or don't use them often, it can be a bit awkward at first, but I think you'll be loving the slip stitch if you keep doing them! :fc :P

The holes don't really have to be 2mm, but that is about what my bead holes were when I measured them. It was the only way I could figure out how to give some kind of measurement other than saying just make sure the beads fit snugly over the crocheted chain. Maybe I should have just said that? Let me know what you think, please, 'cause I'm not really a beader! :lol

No, 2mm was the perfect suggestion... I don't know that anyone is going to be able to measure 1.5mm. LOL!

I think my only problem was the awkwardness of working so small. The second one was easier than the first, probably because I loosened up a bit. :) I've always avoided steel hooks... the P hook is your friend. LOL! But this project is nice and quick enough that I can crank out a bunch of them in a short period of time. :D

I'll take a pic of the green one over the weekend, and if I get the chance to make any more, I'll post them, too. :D

Archived