I want to try but am afraid!!!!

labcrazyland

lol!!! I tried thread once before, but it was sooo hard. My first attempt was with #10 thread.

I have signed up for the flower swap, and would really like to try something in thread. Is there a "thicker" thread that would be easier for me to start with???

Any suggestions???

Kelly

Hi Kelley -

there's not much to be afraid of! However, I believe a size 3 or 5 thread is much larger and you'd probably have some good success with it. In general, the smaller the number, the larger the thread. I'm afraid of 20 and 30 myself, but I've been working with 8 and 10. Hmm....I've just contradicted myself - I know my size 8 thread is smaller than my size 10 thread. Ack! Somebody else with words of advice? :rolleyes

I think you are right Anna, working with size 3 or size 5 would be a good start. Speed Cro Sheen is a nice one to try.

Thread work does take more practice and more patience, but the results are definately worth it. I hope you'll try again.

One other tip. I hate how small the hook handles are for thread, so invest in a hook cozy (small blue sponge like tube at the craft strore). Or, you could make the handle larger by wrapping femo clay around it and baking it. :))

Hope we helped....:blah

~ DAWN

I learned crochet using sz 10 thread when I was still in school. Our teachet made us crochet a bedspread which took me months to finish. I have since then preferred thread over yarn since this is what I am used to. I have tried making a shawl out of eyelash yarn when my bestfriend gave me 3 balls of Moda Dea's Jai Alai. I combined it with thread though to make an open mesh one. :))

I found a site for making crocheted flowers using DMC floss 6 strands. I think I saw it in Rachel's site at crochet pattern central. Check it out under flowers.

Good luck!:star

jackie

my pictures

Maybe try making little swatches of the different stitches. I did little two inch squares of sc, hdc, dc and trc and just kept going until I felt comfortable with it.

Get the blue foam cushions, they make all the difference in the world!! :cheer2

I tried it using dmc floss. I made two things today!!!!! I just used the smallest hook I have , a "d". It wasnt too bad at all! Maybe some year I will work my way down in thread size! lol

Kelly

Kelly - Glad to hear it worked out for you! Any chance of a photo?

I've thought about using some floss to make something. Did you seperate the strands of the floss or just use the floss like normal?

Oh no, LOL, I left the strands together! lmao I am not that brave yet! lol

I will take some pics when I can, have to work all weekend, so it will prob be next week before I get them posted!

Kelly

kelly you did a great job. i love those flowers. don't be afraid of thread its easy to work with. just usea smaller hook and the stitches are the same. i love crocheting with thread as i can make a lot of different things in it. don't give up, :sheep

Archived