has anyone had this happen?

I have been crocheting for 35+ years and using coats & clark thread forever. I started a crocheted top last week and when I was finished with the first ball of Dark Royal, I attached another ball--guess what? The colors are sooooooooooo off. The label is exactly the same--all the same info on it. I am so upset--looks like I wasted a whole weeks' worth of work. I think the other 3 that I bought are the same, I just can't figure out what the deal is. Of course, Joann's, where I bought the thread, won't take the balls back since the labels are off. And what would they do with the one that has already been crocheted!!! It's not a lot of $$, but it's the principal--and the work. I'm so disappointed. I think I'm going to call Coats & Clark on Monday just to get it off my chest!!!!:P

Thanks for letting me vent!!! :)

I am sorry that happened. Yes I have had that to happen .

It is so furstrating

You could call the company and tell them what happened.

Maybe , they could do something about it?:(

and the companys where the yarn has no dye lots. I have run into problems with those too.:yes

:hug to you.

I just love when they say no dye and you buy them all together and it happens. last year I made matching shrug for my daughter and I and from the elbow down on one "sleeve" the shade is slightly off. I love the thing but cant stand to wear it because of it.

all skeins were purchased together too so I made sure I checked the label close

:cheer The shop which sold you the thread need to put it right for you, then they need to take it up with the manufacturer.

In NZ, we have what is called "Consumers Guarantee Act" which means anything that you buy must be of a usable quality and fit for the job, which your thread is obviously not.

Do you have something similar where you live?

It would be a good idea to find out because you should not be disadvantaged through no fault of your own. They will probably not compensate for your time but at least you may get the thread replaced.

Next time you buy thread, make sure you keep the labels util you are done so that you have them if you need them.

When I had my shop, I would have immediately replaced the thread, regardless of whether I could re-sell it. If necessary, I would have used it up myself.

Hope you can get something back from this.

Colleen.:hug

last time i bought some yarn i noticed that one was different from the other...now i put all the ones i want to buy next to each other before i buy them most of the time you can tell if one i slighter or darker than the other.

I hope when you call they'll be able to help you out...it's such a shame to have all that work and not be able to finish it in the same color

Jendi

I have had problems with Coats Crochet Cotton before too and I got in touch with them at this address and phone number.

Coats & Clark

Consumer Services

P.O. Box 12229

Greenville, SC 29612-0229

(800) 648-1479

They were great, they asked for a sample of my defective thread and sent me a full sleeve to replace it free of charge. They only asked for 12 inches of the thread so that means you don't have to pay for shipping full balls.

I hope this helps.

Carol

Wow, I'm going to have to remember that coats and clark phone number! When I was working on Christmas projects, i don't remember if it was a thread project or a shawl, I made so many things. But One of the balls had a knot with a new yarn tied on and about 6 feet of a yarn that didn't match quite right and then another knot and yarn that matched again. I was really upset. I had to cut the yarn and dispose of the messed up stuff. Have also had weird things with Homespun where several feet weren't wound tightly and basicall fluff in the middle that I had to cut off and dispose of. I never thought of calling their customer service and complaining DUH! Also have had yarn that looked like a few long pieces of someones hair got twisted into it. Yikes, I bet that hurt the employee working at the machines!!!

I too am having the same problem with some Redheart wool I bought and its for my snowflake afghan, got it at walmart so went back and checked and of course none like what I need, not only is the color off but the thickness is off too

sue

Thanks for all the sympathy! I was out of town until tonight, but am going to call tomorrow. There is comfort in knowing that others have had the same problem!!! Not that I'd EVER want this to happen to anyone. I'll let you know what they say.

happy crocheting!

I hope this doesn't get posted twice. lol--I had some problem with my computer.

Thanks for all the comfort and good advice!!! I was out-of-town until just a bit ago, so I am going to call Coats & Clark tomorrow morning. Nice to know I'm not the only one this has happened to. Not that I EVER would want anyone have this happen. No fun!

Happy crocheting!

last time i bought some yarn i noticed that one was different from the other...now i put all the ones i want to buy next to each other before i buy them most of the time you can tell if one i slighter or darker than the other.

I hope when you call they'll be able to help you out...it's such a shame to have all that work and not be able to finish it in the same color

When I buy several skeins of yarn from the German yarn shops over here, the shop people always line up the skeins and double check the labels, even if the yarn looks the same (I've pulled it off the shelf altogether) they will match up the dye lots and they will go to the back room and pull out the right dye lots...they are anal about making sure the colors match precisely...

Now I know that the original poster said that the labels were the same, same dye lot and everything...but like this poster said, next time lay out your skeins on the counter before you buy just to see if there might be a shading problem and point it out to the shop keeper...

Meanwhile, by all means contact the manufacter...

Until I came to Germany I never paid any attention to dye lots, if I thought the color was the same when I pulled out all the skeins from the same shelf on one trip I was good to go, but the Germans have taught me to double check things and if need be go in the back room and get an unopened bag of yarn that one knows is all from the same dyelot...

Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference in the color, but that didn't matter to them...

I had this happen just the other day and it's so frustrating. I bought three skeins of yarn for a couple baby doll blankets and one is much darker than the other two...I'm not even sure if I'm going to need the last one but it's still annoying to have that happen when it seems to be happening more and more recently. I can hardly find very many skeins of the same dye lot anymore.

I called Coats & Clark this morning and they were WONDERFUL. They are sending out replacement thread for my project! I was so thrilled that they stood behind their product! KUDDOS to Coats & Clark. And, thank all of you!!!

I called Coats & Clark this morning and they were WONDERFUL. They are sending out replacement thread for my project! I was so thrilled that they stood behind their product! KUDDOS to Coats & Clark. And, thank all of you!!!

Way cool, glad to hear that things worked out!

Jendi,

I am so very glad they came through for you. They were just wonderful when I had to call them as well.

Another company that is really great if you have any problems is VIP Fabric. If any of you sew and have troubles with their fabrics just call them and they are really wonderful. They replaced 6 metres of fabric for me that had a flaw in the pattern once with no problems at all.

Carol

It isgreat that they are replacing the thread--it wasn't the money--it was only $10, but the fact that if I started another one and didn't have enough thread would I be able to find the same color again!!! It is wonderful that they stand behind their product. The woman I spoke with was so nice--didn't feel like I had to explain on and on, she just took my word for it! How nice and refreshing it was. I've always used a lot of Coats and Clark products and sure will continue to! I was impressed!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my thread the other day AND they actually sent me 6 balls of thread rather than 4. Guess they wanted to be sure I had enough for the project. I sure appreciated that! How thoughtful. Even tho it was frustrating, Coats & Clark sure made it RIGHT! I was thrilled!

Jendi

I am very glad for you. A couple of extra balls of cotton never seem to go astray do they? I use Southmaid cotton and Coats is great about standing by their product. I guess that is why they are still in business.

Carol

I agree, Carol. I was very pleased. And if they match the others that I have, I'll have enough for another top for a birthday gift for a friend!

have a great weekend!

:cheer

I have been crocheting for 35+ years and using coats & clark thread forever. I started a crocheted top last week and when I was finished with the first ball of Dark Royal, I attached another ball--guess what? The colors are sooooooooooo off. The label is exactly the same--all the same info on it. I am so upset--looks like I wasted a whole weeks' worth of work. I think the other 3 that I bought are the same, I just can't figure out what the deal is. Of course, Joann's, where I bought the thread, won't take the balls back since the labels are off. And what would they do with the one that has already been crocheted!!! It's not a lot of $$, but it's the principal--and the work. I'm so disappointed. I think I'm going to call Coats & Clark on Monday just to get it off my chest!!!!:P

:cheer I will bet if you call Coats and Clarks that they will make it good or even better. Linda

Archived