Is anyone else crazy about Japanese crochet books?

rina

Hello Everyone...:) This is Saucylouise. I just wanted to shoot a message that I have dropped my pricing cause I realized I was overcharging. I was going based on what ebay's stores were charging and not making up my own pricing for what I thought was fair. :) I do get the books directly from stores at retail prices, not wholesale so what the books would cost you they cost me, I price a little above cost for profit and shipping and fees but not much else. I'm not out to make a bundle, but I would like to make a bit since I'm now here on okinawa for another 2 to 3 years. My husband is military. :) Other sellers like yesasia and amazon can get at wholesale prices so if you see a book there for cheaper I won't feel bad if you get it from them, I understand how it goes. :) Thanks to all of my faithful friends that come to me time after time to find the books that you are searching for. :) I enjoy speaking to each of you and helping out as much as I can. Contact me for any questions you have!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know of some bookstore or someone who sells it for discounted price need them but cant afford the price as jobless and anyways trying to make end meets with college and living expense...any info will be appreciated...thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been fascinated by the cuteness and detail of Japanese craft books, but it wasn't until I started crocheting that I actually had cause to buy them and use them.

The first time I went crochet-book shopping at Kinokuniya in SF, I realized that quite a few of the books I set aside as wannabuys featured designs by Sachiyo*Fukao (she writes her name like that, in English, with an asterisk in the middle). I just found her Japanese homepage, where she lists all the books and magazines that she's contributed to (books marked with a black star are entirely by her). There's a certain amount of repetition, but you really get a sense of her aesthetic--amigurumi are very small and roly-poly, and she favors small, girlish embellishments of ruffled flowers and bits of lace trim (although she also has some more minimalistic designs.) I discovered that in addition to her book Amigurumi de Yururi, she had contributed designs to two other books I own, Marche Vol. 3 and Lacework Four Seasons: Edging & Braid 100.

The last two books I purchased were by Nihon Vogue--"Pineapple Lace" I got from Amazon Books for &7.00...The 2nd "Fine Crochet Lace" from E-bay , from a nice lady in Australia for $9.00 after the exchange rate(on Amazon this one was selling from $65.00 --$200.00, way too expensive , for me)...You really just have to be on the look out or shop around....The reason I like them so well is. I love Thread Crochet, & you can't get Decorative Crochet or other Magazines with basically thread patterns anymore

I'm thinking of purchasing a couple that I saw on ebay. They have some of the most gorgeous motifs and braiding. The book is written in Japanese, but includes diagrams. I can crochet from a diagram, but I'm wondering how you know what size hook and thread/yarn to use. Anybody who have bought some of these books, could you please let me know how to figure out the size hook and thread/yarn to use before I make the investment? Do they show pictures?

I'm thinking of purchasing a couple that I saw on ebay. They have some of the most gorgeous motifs and braiding. The book is written in Japanese, but includes diagrams. I can crochet from a diagram, but I'm wondering how you know what size hook and thread/yarn to use. Anybody who have bought some of these books, could you please let me know how to figure out the size hook and thread/yarn to use before I make the investment? Do they show pictures?

Unless you can read Japanese, i think you are on your own for deciding what size hook and what size/type of thread or yarn to use. Personally, I tend to use books mainly for inspiration and ideas anyway, and Japanese books are great for that. the photos and diagrams are so precise and beautifully presented, it just makes me want to crochet something:hook

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody who have bought some of these books, could you please let me know how to figure out the size hook and thread/yarn to use before I make the investment? Do they show pictures?

Hi,

I found this page on the Internet, which shows the Japanese hook sizes and equivalent mm.

http://snuffykin.livejournal.com/51751.html

For text I go to Google translate, if I use free patterns from the web. I don't understand all of it, but with the great diagrams/charts one can figure out what is meant. - And I am at beginner level at crochet;-)

• 3 months later...

I have always wanted to learn Japanese. Perhaps one day, I will buy a Japanese crochet book and use that as a form of practice. I am pretty sure the community college has Japanese Language classes. But first I need to focus on other things.

Archived