What does everyone think about this?

I noticed a posting from yesterday from a new neighbor that she's looking for patterns that are flowy that would fit her--she's expecting. I couldn't think of many, but I did see some on Garn Studio's site that could be tweaked. Because of this, questions rose up in my mind. Have any designers designed for pregnant women? If there were patterns available and any of you were/are expecting, would you make use of them?

I remember when i was pregnant in 2005, all I could find (without spending an arm and a leg) were clothes that were boxy and made me feel fat. I went from a medium in my regular size to a 2X just to cover my belly by my third trimester. I would have loved having clothes that fit me properly (without them covering my backside, the arms being too long, and the neckline too low), without being boxy, and still looked feminine and sexy. For those of you with experiences like mine, do you think there's a need for maternity patterns?

I've put out a challenge in the designer's den to see who's interested in designing maternity items, but I also wanted to know what everyone else thinks. Any thoughts? comments?

this is to funny, fran and i were just talking about this the other day. anyone want to try and design something? i would have loved something that was not all boxy too, i went from a size xs(weighed 85 pounds when i got pregnant with son)(gosh where did that time go, i so wish i weighed closer to that then what i am now) to a size xl in womens. and yes i sagged and bagged all over, but beings that i know how to sew i was able to fix it, but many people can't and i think a nice sweater or even a skirt would be nice for someone who was expecting and wanted something nice to wear out. sooooooooo anyone want to try it?:think:think

I would love to find paterns for during my pregnancy! I am just over half way and the biggest problem is I have a rather large chest.:blush None of the shirts are forgiving of "well indowed" women. I guess they think all pregnant women are a size b or c chest. Being an I is no fun, and all I can think is that they are only going to get bigger!!:eek Oh well, back to your question, I would love love love to have patterns for plus size maternity clothes. I hope however after this pregnancy to not be plus size any more. I was working on weight loss when my husband and I got pregnant. :lol Thar's okay though. We have wanted a baby for a long time. So anyway my answer is YES!!:clap

When I was pregnant, what I did was wear "peasant" type blouses and bohemian stuff.

That's my general style, anyway, so I was able to wear alot of my regular tops for a long while.

I do have one pattern in a book I got from Annie's Attic that has a maternity top in it. The book is "Easy Living Crochet", and I think it's on clearance right now.

The thing I had the hardest time with was pants.

Now, though, it seems like Target has a nice selection of maternity wear. They didn't sell maternity clothes when I was expecting back in 2001/2002. Sometimes, when I'm looking through the clearance rack, I can't tell what's maternity and what's not!

Maternity patterns aren't just for pregnant women :-) Some of us plus sized gals find that larger sizes in maternity wear fit better than the "fat clothes" - roomy in the hips without being baggy in the boobs :-) And not so huge in the arm and neck openings either. I'm sure we'd like crochet and knit patterns that fit (maternity style) so that the bottom of the sweaters didn't ride up or stretch out :-)

I've browsed the maternity websites, and there are some ready-made crochet and knit tops available, but they're expensive (some of them cost as almost as much as my car payment, geez).

Before I learned to sew, I always had to by a bra 2 cups larger and stuff the stupid thing just to make the dress look right (no saggy bodice) - made me feel like I was 12 or something and stuffing a training bra LOL. I know there are women with the opposite problem, who don't need the belly room, just more space up top. There's a knitting group online somewhere that do a lot of pattern alterations for such things - more room where you need it - but the knitting was "over my head" as a beginner LOL Someone was talking once about knitting in box pleats under the bodice sides - I can sew anything, I can barely knit a flat sqaure, figured I'd never manage a knitted pleat LOL

My knitting is SO slow, I'd never finish anything my own size in six months, but I could churn out a couple of crocheted ones a month, if it were cold here all winter (it's nearly 80 degrees today, breeze is still cool though).

Anyway, yeah, I'd like to see some crocheted maternity patterns :-)

If someone out there could give me an idea of measurements, I might be able to come up with something. My daughter is now 5 months old and when I was pregnant with her I spent some time lamenting the maternity clothing. Half of those I bought weren't even maternity (what's with fashion these days, it makes a woman look pregnant). course, I only gained 15lbs the whole time, and not for lack of trying. All I wanted until like the last month was healthy food. Salads were a big one. Well, that and KFC mashed tatos and gravy. Anyway, if anyone could give me some measurements, I could try designing something (have 2 prego cousins, strangly enough, they were my bridal party. Must be something in the cake)

I know when I was preggo with my daughters they didnt have any of the rt outfits for me. I was rt in Mid. But hated the styles.Now you can get cute clothes . But not for all body types. Think it would be cute to see some summer tops for preggo women. I might try if I get time.Happy Hooking Ladies.:yes

I would be up for trying my hand at designing something if someone (or preferably a range of someone's) could give me some measurements...I haven't been preggers in 2 1/2 years and we're not having any more, so I don't have a preggers bod to measure myself LOL!!

Jessie

Archived