Crochet thread, tension issues

butterfly_girl

Hello! I've crocheted with thread a few times. I've made a choker, and I started another cool black rose choker. But I tried again, recently to crochet with thread. I wanted to make a heart. :manyheart Anyways, I've noticed that no matter what I do, the crocheting always seems loose. :think What can I do to keep tension, and keep it tight while crocheting with size 10 thread? I tried to make a choker around halloween, the one on the anticraft site. and it turned out too be too loose. it was two inches than it's supposed to be. Big difference, for a choker.......and I used a hook smaller than the one recommended. So, I never finished it. Also, I have never blocked before, and wasn't sure how to go about that.

Thanks!

The thing I have found when I use thread is to keep the thread very close to the end of the hook. If you let the loop slide up the shaft your stitches won't be very uniform or tight. Try that and see if it helps.

I'm going to echo TX. Don't let it go up too far.

Though, I crochet tight and tend to have the opposite problem... You might try my usual method and learn to pull the yarn tight on every stitch. Ex: After you insert, yo, and pull through, tug on the free end of the yarn to get rid of any "excess" and then finish your stitch and pull the free end again. It sounds like a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it, it's second nature. And I always get compliments on how uniform my stitches are.

Another thing that might work is to wrap the thread another time around whatever finger seems comfortable. I wrap it 2x around my pinky and then weave it through my fingers to come up over my pointer finger. I move my pointer finger up and down to tighten the thread tension when needed. And I agree with keeping the thread very close to the hook. It sounds weird but it works pretty good. I crochet very tight with this method.

I would agree with Monael... I find when I am working with thread I wrap twice around my pinkie, twice around my ring finger then under my middle. That seems to hold the tension tight to keep tight stiches. When I switch to yarn it usually takes me a few minutes to get it right.

Gardnr

I would agree with Monael... I find when I am working with thread I wrap twice around my pinkie, twice around my ring finger then under my middle. That seems to hold the tension tight to keep tight stiches. When I switch to yarn it usually takes me a few minutes to get it right.

Gardnr

lol I was just going to point what I did lol

I do the same lol

Archived