stiffen a large project

tweety256

What is the best way to stiffen a large thread project. Last time i tryed the project was distroyed. Parts of the project was stiffen and parts weren't. I am not sure what I did wrong, but this time the project I just finished is a present I don't what to mess it up. Any help is appreciated.

I'm new to the forum and don't have nearly the good ideas others do. Like someone who said they drew circles with a compass before pinning out their doily, brilliant! I never thought of it... And that same person uses Styrofoam and I've always just used sides of cardboard boxes which hurt my fingers pushing in the pins in and they don't stay great. So, maybe you guys have good ideas for stiffening. I always just use spray starch. I've never had a problem with it. If someone knows a reason not to spray starch I'd also like to know.

I use a sheet of home insulation that I bought at lowes, covered in a few strips of saran wrap.

I would use a dippable stiffner - whether you choose something commercial like Aileens or something you mix up yourself like epsom salts and water. This way the entire project will get saturated with the stiffner.

When I block I use rust proof pins and I have the circles and lines on my board under the saran wrap (I have blocking guides available on my webpage (link in sig straight to them); they only get as big as a printed page, but you can use a ruler to draw the lines out).

I actually have used and do use spray starch quite a bit, but if you are making something to be framed I would go with something stiffer. Plus, it is harder to be even in application for such a large doily.

I hope this helps!

With something in a rectangle you want to sqaure it up. I use the back of a foam board and mark and measure the completed size making sure the corners are squared. I use a quilting ruler to make sure my lines are staright. Then I cover it with wax paper and use push pins to block the item I am going to mount. On the mounting board, after it is dry, I do the same thing on the back with the foam board underneath. I remove the pins and "sew" the piece to the mounting board in the holes I have created. Just be aware that when you getting the mat board ready, you will want to turn the filet over on it's front, so when you mount it on the front of the mat board, the holes will match.

For stiffening even something that big,you can use corn starch/ water combo, light on the corn starch or it will be a brick! (I have done that before!) Or extra spraying of spray starch will work. I spray it on while the piece is still damp from washing.

Hope this is some help to you!

• 2 weeks later...

I also use foam insulation board you get at home Depot or Lowes.... They are thin and thick, I would recomend to get the thick one so your pins stay in better. I use Stiffy works very good. I do dulite it some tho.Because if you don't then the stiffy white stuff will sometimes show up on your doily as it dries. So i dulite it half and half. And it does not do that any more. The foam boards are so big and hard to store. I put it behind the door and that works and its flat against the wall.

Love your doily and you did a great job on it.

Archived