Crochet Cardiagan CAL discussion

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am doing the grey square and I can't wait to start actually. I have to stop myself :wlol

Flyinghooks is hosting and I agreed to help her. Feb. is too close by half when I watch the days zipping by.

Oh cool!!!! This should be a GREAT CAL, being there are so many of us that haven't made a garment yet, I think it will work out for everyone!! Yippie!!

JoAnn - that is a cool color! I can't wait to get going on this too. I'm using Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Mulled wine...

But I must get to work on some things for dh first. AGH only a week to go! :eek I've been working on another sweater for myself, but I have to make dh's socks and get back to his sweater this week.

Darski - I will open this CAL on Feb 1 over in the CAL forum!

Must go clean, and do laundry and clean again... I have a 7o ds home sick and a 4.5yo dd pouting because Mom can't drive her to her activities!

It's soon upon us!! And I have this yarn STARING me down...lol..

anyone else want to join up?? I hope so, it will be a GREAT beginning for us newbie's to garments :hook

I would like to join this CAL, too! I plan to use KnitPicks Wool of the Andes in the Stream colorway. It is a blue-green. This will be my first crochet project in a long time but I fell in love with Carol's jacket and thought I'd give it a try. My name is Kate and I'm from Massachusetts.

Folks, I have to tell you, I am so excited about this project! I've got my yarn picked out, and I had to force myself to concentrate at work all day today because I kept thinking about the pattern and my fingers were itching to get started!

This is my very first CAL, I already love it!!

Just a reminder look for a new thread at CAL tomorrow...

:cheer:clap:cheer

this CAL was born from a thread in show and tell here

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41178

and the pattern that we will be using is here:

http://www.yarnsplus.com/crochet/cardigan.htm

so gather your yarn, swatch a square and get ready!!

I am all set to go now. Well for the life of me I can't remember which hook I used but will play with that and find out today :wlol

it will be nice to have this on the go. I have been eying those 4 squares and wanting to just do it :heehee

I was looking the pattern over and it mentions a gusset, and "easing fullness." The only place I've heard of gussets is in making socks, and while I know that ease relates to how something fits, I'm at a loss as to what is meant by, for example, "Easing fullness of sleeve at l edge for wrist, sew 2 motifs in place for each cuff."

...Or should I hang onto these questions and pose them in the CAL thread...?

generally speaking,"easing the fullness" means that you 'gently' gather in a wide area of fabric/crochet to fit with a smaller area of fabric. If you have a 4 inch square that needs to come down to three inches, you want to create the gathers so that they do not form pleats but just seem to come down to size gradually.

We will see how it plays out when we are working our patterns. It will also depend on what you want to happen with your sleeves and such for your own version of the pattern.

I've been thinking that this could become the BICO of the new month - :heehee

I was looking the pattern over and it mentions a gusset, and "easing fullness." The only place I've heard of gussets is in making socks, and while I know that ease relates to how something fits, I'm at a loss as to what is meant by, for example, "Easing fullness of sleeve at l edge for wrist, sew 2 motifs in place for each cuff."

I'll try to answer you with words... if it doesn't work,:think I'll try drawing a picture...:)

The gusset in a sweater can be a side gusset or in this case an underarm gusset. Sometimes you see this extra piece in a sweatshirt. If you look under the arm it looks like an extra diamond of material in the armpit. In this example, the last 4 inches of the sleeve seam and the top 4 inches of the side seam aren't close and this diamond fits in to that whole... sewing one side of the diamond to each of those seam sides.

In this pattern, as written the sleeves are not set-in and are only 3/4 sleeves. Forgetting about the cuff for a minute, the sleeves are made of 8 squares, 2 rows of 4 squares all sewn together. The rows of 4 squares encircle your arm, and the long edge (4 square edge) attaches to the armhole of the front and back panels of the sweater. When assembling you only sew a sleeve seam at the bottom row of 4 squares (leaving the top row unsewn). When sewing the side seam of the sweater the front and back are sewn together only at the bottom 2 rows, the top 2 rows attach to the sleeves and the middle row is left open for the gusset square to be sewn in.... I hope that made a little sense:think

OK the easing to fit....essentially it is gathering the bigger piece together to sew it ti a smaller piece. These sleeves are a bit baggy, they are 16 inches (4 squares) around at the upper arm. The cuff is only 8 inches (2 squares). So, you ease two squares to one sqaure when you sew the sleeve to the cuff. Every 2 stitchs on the sleeve get sewn to 1 stitch on the cuff.....

I hope this helps!

We will see how it plays out when we are working our patterns. It will also depend on what you want to happen with your sleeves and such for your own version of the pattern.

I've been thinking that this could become the BICO of the new month - :heehee

As I wrote my lengthy explanation of gusset, I was thinking the same thing... now we just need a catchy phrase... :think

VIntage CArdigan - VICA

Roli & Artemis VIntage Cardigan - RAVIC...

:eek we'll be creating havoc with our RAVICs:devil

Tommorow is the day!! I will be taking my pattern along with me to work to read it over, plan, concentrate on it..lol..now IF my residentsw cooprerate that is, AND I have all the end of the month stuff to do at work...well, surely I will have an HOUR :think

by the way, this is JoAnn, I had to change my screen name for saftey reasons....so you all know me..:lol

Hello, this CAL looks so fun to try. It will be a nice gift for my mother who just become cancer free this month.

I wonder if lion brand microspun is not too thin? Or I can use cotton ease if it's still available.

I need some kind of yarn that can be used for all-year garament. I live in los angeles and my mother in san francisco. We both tend to wear layers. Any thoughts?

Hello, this CAL looks so fun to try. (SNIP)

I need some kind of yarn that can be used for all-year garament. I live in los angeles and my mother in san francisco. We both tend to wear layers. Any thoughts?

I'd say any cotton or cotton blend would work nicely. The pattern calls for worsted weight, but you could go a bit lighter if you want....

Actually since it's made up of 4 inch motifs you could use any yarn you want and just make enough rounds until the square is 4inches!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived