Question about scrumbling/freeform

lauri

I think I've been doing it all wrong. I started out with a center, then changed colors/textures and kept going. Should I be doing separate freeform pieces and then sewing them together? It's no wonder why my piece won't lie flat!!!

In freeform, there really is no 'right' or 'wrong'. Perhaps some blocking may help flatten wonky parts. If you are going around, you may need to add more increases so future areas will be more flat.

Joan

Some try to freeform large pieces. I tried that too at first. I found that when I did that my pieces would turn out wonky. The biggest I like my scrumbles to get are around 6inches depending on their shape.

In freeform, there really is no 'right' or 'wrong'. Perhaps some blocking may help flatten wonky parts. If you are going around, you may need to add more increases so future areas will be more flat.

Joan

I love the "professional" term...WONKY:rofl

Let's face it - it's downright...UGLY! Do I need to pick a color scheme? Maybe I should do separate pieces like circles, etc. and then sew together? I don't know. It looks nothing like the gorgeous, colorful, interesting ones that I've seen. Help!

th_myfirstscrumble.jpg

:(

lauri~ i don't think that's such a bad effort. keep it going for a bit more and then see how you feel about it. scrumbles are freeform, however as you pointed out, they're separate pieces and then sewn together. you can certainly mix the two! i tend to make a bunch of scrumbles before i do anything, and then freeform them together. this helps me control the piece a bit more when i want it to lie flat. good luck and kudos to you for stepping out of the box~*

Let's face it - it's downright...UGLY! Do I need to pick a color scheme? Maybe I should do separate pieces like circles, etc. and then sew together? I don't know. It looks nothing like the gorgeous, colorful, interesting ones that I've seen. Help!

th_myfirstscrumble.jpg

:(

I think it looks great...keep building on it.

Archived