Stained Glass Window Afghan Cal????

MsSunflwr

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your panel is very pretty. I had trouble with the border also. I tried following the directions but it didn't seem to be right. The stitches of the border were over stretched.

This is what I did: 2 dc at the end of each row. When I got to the end of the first color, I skipped the 1st black row, 2 dc in the 2nd black row and each row after until I got to the next 1st row of black. When I went up the other side, I reversed the black rows so that the skipped black row was the same on both sides. Doing it this way, it keeps the border from "ruffling" and at the same time allows for stretching of the colored blocks.

I HATE THE BORDER!!! This is the 3rd time I've done this pattern and I hate it each time. I basically work my final row with the border color in the same "v" stitch pattern only working 3 dc in the last "v", ch 2, 3dc in same stitch. Then I ch 1 and skip the side of next row. I am putting 2 dc in the rows with the turning chains and I ch 1 between each, that way it lies flat. Next time, I will do hdc in the sides of each row, I think this will look MUCH better.

I dont think it is too late! Imo it could be a life long WIP if you wanted. hey we will forever have yarn and scraps right ;)

Great - I'm in!!

And the way I see it is, if God is good to me, I WILL forever have yarn and scraps indeed!!!!

Isn't that a YUMMY thought - yarn forever.:c9

:yay

Absolutely gorgeous! Whatever you did, it's working. I think there are a few minor flaws in the pattern the way it is written. The technique is simple enough though. Whatever you are doing, it looks amazing...can't wait to see more photos.

PAULA & LINDSEY: Loving yours too....everyone is off to a really good start and using really vibrant colors. These are going to be so beautiful and so individually unique.

ANOTHER TIP: For those of you who are lazy like me and HATE to weave in the ends. I leave a long tail both the old color and new color, then I crochet the end into my work, as if I'm using two strands, and I lay the old color on the row I'm working on and just crochet over it, so both the old and new get "weaved in" in a sense. Does this make sense?

ONE MORE TIP: As an afterthought in doing my first one, I wanted to use it as a bedspread and it wasn't long enough to reach over the pillows. I simply made two more wider panels and placed one ACROSS the top and one across the bottom. I was surprised that it still looked really good that way and finished off my edges really nicely. I did 12 panels total (10 across and one at the tope and one at the bottom). I will get a photo of my first one up eventually to show you all.

I'll try to explain what I call the flat braid (I'm not sure this is what you call this method) Slst in the ch 2 at bottom of panel, ch2, slst in ch2 space on other panel, ch2, slst in in between first 2dc grop and corner, ch2 slst in same space on other panel. Just keep going back and forth with slst , ch2's, once in each panel.

When I did that, the edge sort of ruffled. That's why I skipped one of the black rows. Also, the black hides the skipped row so much better.

What I am doing with the border. I am doing 2 dc all around to see what it will look like

That will probably look great and I wished I'd done something different before getting so far along. I was going to try the same thing on my next afghan only using hdc all the way around.

I have a few rows on my second panel to finish as I did not crochet yesterday. The pattern instructions are On sides of panel: 2 dc in each row with ch-3 at the end with the exception of row 2. Donna has explained how this is done by working the 2dcs on the row that has your 3ch turning chain. I found I did not need to make a ch between these 2dc clusters but them I am working mine in a sports yarn.

Paula your panel is very colourful. You may find that doing 2dc all around may flute the edge ... The original misses a row space between the 2dcs.

It seems to have worked for laurie if she misses a black row so give it a go.

Lindsay your strips are so pretty. The colours are great.

Sportsbear you have zoomed past me. I still have to complete the 2nd panel.

i'VE BEEN A LITTLE SLOW GETTING THIS STARTED AND UNDERSTANDING THE PATTERN TOTALLY, BUT NOW THAT i HAVE GOT IT, i SHOULD HAVE MY FIRST PANEL DONE TODAY OR EARLY TOMORROW. sINCE i DON'T UNDERSTAND TOTALLY ABOUT BANDWIDTH THEFT AND ALL THAT, CAN i POST A LINK TO MY yAHOO PHOTOS PAGE? tHAT'S PROBABLY WHERE i WILL BE UP LOADING MYT CROCHET PICS TO.

tHANKS

Yes...looking good! I'm loving looking at everyone's work on this one. I started on the 7th panel last night, didn't get very far, only about 40 rows done, so tonight, I'm going to try to get that sucker done.

Where is everyone else on the pattern?

Archived