Stained Glass Window Afghan Cal????

MsSunflwr

I have a Question. At the end of row 2,the directions say to put one dc in the top of the ch 3 space in the row below. The directions for row 3 say to put 2 dc between each 2 dc space. If I am reading this correctly, you totally skip the space between the single dc that was put at the end of row 2, thereby changing the number of 2 dc groups in each row from 9 to 8. Is this correct or am I totally reading the pattern wrong? Thanks

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Question. At the end of row 2,the directions say to put one dc in the top of the ch 3 space in the row below. The directions for row 3 say to put 2 dc between each 2 dc space. If I am reading this correctly, you totally skip the space between the single dc that was put at the end of row 2, thereby changing the number of 2 dc groups in each row from 9 to 8. Is this correct or am I totally reading the pattern wrong? Thanks

I haven't actually looked at the pattern in a while, this is the method I am using. I realize you may not be able to read the text on the photo (my mistake), but basically, this is what I'm doing.

Ch 3 (turning chain counts as first dc of next "v" stitch in next row), then dc in the space between 2 dcs in previous row. Then you will put in "v" stitch (2 dc) in the space between "v" stitches of previous row. Your V's will stack up like this evenly so you will have the same number across each row:

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

stitches.jpg

Ohhhhh Nooooo! I have done 2 panels and they are all wrong. I was putting the 2 dcs between 2 dcs. I did have a bump on row 2 and couldn't figure out why. Im'm glad you showed the picture and now know what went wrong.

Ohhhhh Nooooo! I have done 2 panels and they are all wrong. I was putting the 2 dcs between 2 dcs. I did have a bump on row 2 and couldn't figure out why. Im'm glad you showed the picture and now know what went wrong.

The first time I worked this pattern, I interpreted the blanket the same as you. A friend of mine worked the same pattern and interpreted the pattern the way I have indicated in my previous post. I personally liked the blanket better the second way, but I have done it the way you've started also with very similar results.

So don't fret, just continue to go with it!

Too late I have frogged it. I'm still having a problem. Am I to have only 2dc at the end of rows? I mean the turning chain and 1 dc. I have 10 dc groups in the first row. When I have 3 chains left in row 1, do I put a v st in the last chain or just 1 dc? It still seems like row 1 bumps out.

Noooo.... :eek I was hoping you wouldn't frog all of your hard work. It still would have been fabulous.

It sounds like you may have one chain stitch too many. I dc to the last chain and make an even row of v stitches. I don't have any dc stitches that are alone.

The way I'm working the pattern, I have two dcs at the end and beginning of all rows. The rows are all even number of V's. The turning chain counts as the first dc of the next row and then you just dc in the space between the v from the previous row. Once it works up, you will hardly be able to tell which rows have turning chains because your v's will stack up evenly.

VVVVVVV

VVVVVVV

VVVVVVV

VVVVVVV

Hope this helps.

I think my brain has come out of the fog.:think I have 9 dc groups per row with a v st on each end and no bump in row one. Nina, I don't know if this your patterns, but it could use some clarifying. I love how it is turning out. The pattern is very nice when done by a person with a clear mind. I had so many problems with this pattern, you would think I was a Newbie. Have been at this craft for over 35 years. I hope to get some pictures up in the next few days. Thanks for the help.

This isn't one of my patterns, and I think each time I worked it, I may have done something a bit different. For example:

The pattern says to skip the first 2 dc on the first row, I didn't do that, I skipped only one dc (now that I'm thinking about it, I think there was your solution, you said you had 3 dc left at the end of the row, skip 2 and do your last 2 dc in the final chain stitch.

Don't fret over it...I simply figured out how many "v" stitches I wanted in my row and chained twice as many (If I wanted 9 "v" stitches across, I chain 20 (17 + 3 turning chain counts as first dc) and dc in 4th chain from hook (first "v" made). Skip next ch and 2 dc in next across to end of chain. If you find that you somehow have an extra chain on the end (you may not be able to see your chain well with textured yarn, boucle, etc...just cheat and skip to end chain. You won't be able to tell.

If you still have a problem, please send me a private message and maybe I can walk you through it or at least try to send you photos of what all my rambling means.

i am stuck. I am on the third roll. At the end it says 2dc between the last and the beg ch3. Should i put 2dc on the top beg ch 3 or do i put 1 dc then chain 3. I try to figure it out. For about a hour. I rip it out. help me. lol.

i am stuck. I am on the third roll. At the end it says 2dc between the last and the beg ch3. Should i put 2dc on the top beg ch 3 or do i put 1 dc then chain 3. I try to figure it out. For about a hour. I rip it out. help me. lol.

Welcome Paula,

Put your 2 dc BETWEEN the last dc and the beg ch 3, nothing on TOP of the beg ch 3 (that is if you are doing the method I am using and putting all of your 2 dcs BETWEEN your 2 dc of the previous row. Got a pic? Don't want to steer you wrong, it seems that the pattern is not very clear). This is the way I'm doing it, but it's been done a bit differently with very similar results. You should have the same number of 2 dc on each row. The ch 3 turning chain counts as one dc.

Thanks so Nina, for all your help. I thought there was a problem with the starting chanin. It says to skp 2 ch between each dc group. If you do that your first row bows out. Your post says to skp only only one chain and that works out. Thanks again.:cheer I think I have the rest of it right. Back to frogging. This is the first project that I am sitting at the computer with hook and yarn.:yay

I looked in the other closet. I have no black yarn. So, I think I going to use a different color. I dont know what. Maybe a dk color. Who knows. I think be using soft burgundy instead of black. I just finished the first color.

The method I am using, which I think differs from the pattern, I do not skip any v stitches. For each v stitch on a row, there will be a v stitch stacked above it in the next row. There is a post above that may explain better. I think the pattern is a little vague (this is not my pattern). I think the "v" stitch method is just simpler for me.

I did get my fifth panel done tonight...I am planning on doing 9, so I'm more than half way done! :yay

fifthpanel.jpg

The method I am using, which I think differs from the pattern, I do not skip any v stitches. For each v stitch on a row, there will be a v stitch stacked above it in the next row. There is a post above that may explain better. I think the pattern is a little vague (this is not my pattern). I think the "v" stitch method is just simpler for me.

I did get my fifth panel done tonight...I am planning on doing 9, so I'm more than half way done! :yay

fifthpanel.jpg

Nina it is a very impressive afghan. The colours are just too gorgeous.

I have, like Clare, been "popping in" to look and see and have been restraining myself as I am at the moment working on 3 others. But tonight I fell off the perch and started this.

Today I reorganised my stash and came across a box that had been given to me ... I had forgotten that I had it. In this box there are odd lengths of yarn suitable for this ... to start it and then I will have to dig into my stash. I am not planning any colour ...just going with the flow. It is working up beautifully.

I will post a photo as soon as I have made a strip.

I have, like Clare, been "popping in" to look and see and have been restraining myself as I am at the moment working on 3 others. But tonight I fell off the perch and started this.

i no how you feel !! darn CAL :lol i have a couple of colors done so far...i will post when i have a panel done

Yes, Clare these crochet alongs are my downfall. I do not have that much scrap yarn as I have made quite a few scrapghans but this box was given to me by mum's friend daughter when her mum passed away and it has just scraps. It is taking me a while to unravel some of the tangled ones. I will then go through my stash to see what I can spare. I will also post as soon as I have made a panel.

Nina I have had this pattern in my collection for some time but it was your beautiful production that made me start it now. Oh my.. I now have 4 afghans I am trying to complete:eek

Archived