Looking for your opinion

Hi!

I'm not sure which topic to file this under, so I'm sorry if this is not in the right place!

What I would like to do is crochet a tablecloth for my dining room table. I found a pattern for 12-inch squares which calls for knitting worsted. I'm thinking of Caron's One Pounder. Here are the concerns I have:

1. Do you think the knitting worsted is too thick? Do I need to choose a pattern that calls for thread?

2. The table is used daily, and I would need to cover the tablecloth with plastic. Too retro?

3. I was thinking of ordering the yarn from a web-site like JoAnn. Could I get better prices elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Linda

From my own experience, I don't think you would be happy with the yarn cloths. I have done it just for an effect when I didn't use the table (really).

things tend to fall over if nothing else :wlol

i would say thread or perhaps a baby weight yarn - I've never done baby so I can't say on that one.

For a table cloth you should use bed spread cotton. It's thicker than doily thread. Your squares will be smaller, so you might need to make a lot more. Make a sample square and measure it. Decide what size table cloth you want to figure how many squares will you need (? by ? squares). Keep track of how much thread you use fo one square, so you wil know how much to get. You can always ask for help where you get the thread. I hope this helps. Good luck

Ellie 13

I myself prefer to use size 10 thread for all my tablecloths. Although size 20 and 30 are beautiful most of the people I make them for say the smaller weight thread is too much of a pain to startch when they need to wash them. I had an order 2 yrs ago for a tablecloth made with Lily 100% cotton, it worked up very nice, but is also very heavy. Whichever you choose I'm sure it will be lovely.

I wanted to comment on the plastic over it idea. My mother made a beautiful table cloth (out of size 10 thread I think, or it might have been size 3) and my grandmother put it on her table with a clear plastic cover over it. It looks beautiful, and it really protects it well. I don't think it looks bad at all. :) Hope that helps!

Victoria

• 4 weeks later...

Archived