Squares?

Okay, I know that somewhere on this board there is a thread on what to do with squares...I searched it, and ended up with about 50 pages or so on squares (mostly afghans). I'm planning a class curriculum for a crochet class at my church for sometime after the holidays...I have a lot of interest, even amongst the men in my choir! After looking at the different "teaching crochet" topics, it has been decided that making square swatches is ideal for beginners. Alright, now, what are various things one can do with squares aside from the following?

• blankets
  • scarves
  • hats (4 sewn together)
  • pockets
  • bags
  • pillows
  • bean bags and other toys
  • dishcloths
  • face cloths
  • bath cloths

Any other suggestions? I want to appeal to as many people as possible, ages from 5+. Thanks in advance!

Depends on how big they are, but a cardigan, vest, or belt could be made with squares as well. If you use string, then you could have table dollies, table runners, glass covers, and coasters. I have used string crocheted squares to put over lampshades to dim the light. Also curtains could be made with squares. Really just playing with them, I am sure that you could come up with a number of different ideas to use the squares for. Each person would / could have an idea of what they want to make.

Tracey

what about 2 sewn/crocheted together and stuffed w/ lavendar or other herbs to make a sachet? pillows? toy blocks (6 in a square, or 8 in a hexagon), an eye glass case (folded in half and sewn on 2 sides, if in thread can put several together as a bookmark, or make them more long rectangles (like a scarf idea) and make into a door snake (to keep cold air out) .... for starts. :)

Sandy

You ladies are awesome! Now, here's a really big challenge for ya: I need ideas for gentlemen!! There's some interest amongst the men, and I'd like some really neat and creative ideas for squares for men. They aren't the sweater-vest types (well, except the pastor, but I don't think he's interested), some are handymen (they do a lot of work around the church, taking care of it during their spare time), others are engineer-types. I'm going to compile this list for them, just to get more guys into this class (most of them are middle-aged, if this helps! ;)). :think

With their manly colours, they could add some spice to whatever their interested in. Comp geeks (and I say that with love) could make a computer sweater (mine's purple and has matching speaker sweaters). They would just sew the squares together to go around the computer moniter with a space left in the front for the screen.

Car buffs could make their own designer seat cushions and sew the squares together in whatever design they like.

Then there's the usual cell pockets, brief case organizers, etc. So much you can do with a square.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

• 3 weeks later...

you could make notepad/notebook covers - I know there's an on-line pattern somewhere for a paperback book cover, and there likely is one for a Bible cover somewhere. My first thought on this idea was to make a cover for one of those 3x5" notebooks that are used to jot notes down on.

also if you found the right "material" you could make keychains -I've seen somewhere using a fine guage wire and crocheting jewellery, I'm wonering if you could use a thicker wire and instead of beads use nuts & bolts/hardware-type things. My son & I made some using plastic string and key rings, washers & bolts ...correction, I made them while the 5-year-old coloured. Of couse you wouldn't necessarily make squares (which I believe was the question)

how about mug mats (coasters for coffee mugs) ...I might just think of something else ... gimme a chance

fran

Archived