Modular Crochet

it wouldn't be that hard to create the mitred square in crochet. I have seen it done. The whole thing about crochet is that you can go anywhere you want because you only have to deal with that one loop. Most of the colour effect is achieved by the use of the varigated yarn.

http://www.vogueknitting.com/

scroll down to the books section, Knits From a Painter’s Palette

By Maie Landra, I REALLY want this book :lol

I am trying to find what exactly is modular..guess I should have asked that first :yes Thank you for the links, they are what I was looking for!

The whole trick with the mitred square is to work a double decrease around the 3 central stitches. Where you had 3 stitches, you end up with one stitch.

do this every row and you are down to one stitch . You can then pick up stitches along one edge of your finished square and then chain new stitches to begin your next square.

It really is easy but it does need that varigated yarn to get the effect.

I have a book that is all mod crochet when I get home I will tell you the name ....I brought at a lib. book sell....I love doing modular crochet it comes out just how you pictured it in your mind

Liv, did you get a chance to get the name of the book?

Good question! I've been curious about this too. I know there's an out of print book on Modular Crochet, but it goes for like $75 on eBay and ABE books

There is also a chapter on modular crochet in the book Design Crochet by Mark Dittrick. You can usually find a copy for about $10. It's a good book and has a lot of other designers in it.

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...It took me FOREVER to get back to this ....sorry...the name of the book is "Modular Crochet: A Revolutionary New Method for Creating Custom-Design Pillovers" by Judith Copeland ....hope you get this....i LOVE this book it is what gave me the nerve to try wearables

Wow...It took me FOREVER to get back to this ....sorry...the name of the book is "Modular Crochet: A Revolutionary New Method for Creating Custom-Design Pillovers" by Judith Copeland ....hope you get this....i LOVE this book it is what gave me the nerve to try wearables

No worries, Liv! Everyone has had wonderful suggestions. I wish I could start on it right now...I am finishing up a few last gifts. Atleast I have something fun to look forward to when the rush is over:hook

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump my own thread, but I had more questions:blush I couldn't find the suggested books for modular crochet, but I did buy "Painter's Palette":clap It came today. If I learn to knit in modular can I convert it to crochet? It seems to be just short rows? Or am I misunderstanding? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Holy cow, you bought Modular Crochet at a library book sale? You lucky bum! It's a classic. Take a gander at the prices that the Amazon used book sellers are asking for this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0871312565/ref=dp_olp_2/104-6094597-5128702

Holy cow, you bought Modular Crochet at a library book sale? You lucky bum! It's a classic. Take a gander at the prices that the Amazon used book sellers are asking for this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0871312565/ref=dp_olp_2/104-6094597-5128702

HOLY *BLEEP*ING *BLEEP*!!!!!!!!

Well... there goes any thought of ME having that book!!!

• 9 months later...
There is also a chapter on modular crochet in the book Design Crochet by Mark Dittrick. You can usually find a copy for about $10. It's a good book and has a lot of other designers in it.

Donna

Good lookin' out. I just ordered a copy - Amazon - for about $2.80 plus shipping.

Archived