need some felting advice

neicy crochets

I found this really large plus size sweater made out of purple 100% Shetland wool( have the identical wool here at home) cardigan sweater at the local thrift store. It was handmade and absolutely beautiful, knitted with loads of cables, bobbles, and criss-crosses. The right front panel covers the left one completely ( 2 sets of buttons) so there is an awful lot of knitted wool. The only problem is that aroung the neck is full of holes, and is non-repairable.

My question to you all is: could I take it apart at the seams, and then use the bigger panels to sew together for a purse ( or a few as it is so big), then felt it?

I really hate to destroy it as someone put ALOT of work into this beautiful sweater, and it was probably only thrown out because of the holes.

Can anyone give me some ideas?

Thanks

Neicy

It may be easier to felt the entire sweater first, and then cut out parts for the bag and sew it together. If you cut it up before felting, it may begin to unravel. Once it's felted, it won't.

There are a couple of websites with instructions on how to do this. I know I have some bookmarked... let me go find them.

Joan

It may be easier to felt the entire sweater first, and then cut out parts for the bag and sew it together. If you cut it up before felting, it may begin to unravel. Once it's felted, it won't.

There are a couple of websites with instructions on how to do this. I know I have some bookmarked... let me go find them.

Joan

Great answer Joan.

I've seen people with rescued sweaters converted into bags, and they've turned out really cute. The cables will probably disappear, but that gorgeous wool won't!!! I agree with Joan...though if you cut it and sew it right away...even machine it, I would think you could get away with it. (If you want a more seamless look) I've seen them both ways...some with the seams obvious and on the outside for a very boxy look...all cute! have fun!!

Archived