Scarf from the new Paton's SWS yarn

JCB

Your scarf is beautiful and I love the soloman's knot. I have a poncho in one of my booklets with that st and it's been very popular. If anyone wants to learn this st, it can be frustrating at first, but once you learn it, it's very easy and fun! Yarn companies send designers their new yarn and Paton's did send me a skein of the SWS. I noticed right away how soft and pretty it is. When you made your scarf, Joan, did you use one particular color that striped that way automatically? I haven't been to the stores to see the other colors, and just wondered if you used more than 1 color. Since it stripes, to get that effect, did you just work a long row until you came to another color, and then turned it to get another color on the next row? Thanks, Mary Jane

Your scarf is beautiful and I love the soloman's knot. I have a poncho in one of my booklets with that st and it's been very popular. If anyone wants to learn this st, it can be frustrating at first, but once you learn it, it's very easy and fun! Yarn companies send designers their new yarn and Paton's did send me a skein of the SWS. I noticed right away how soft and pretty it is. When you made your scarf, Joan, did you use one particular color that striped that way automatically? I haven't been to the stores to see the other colors, and just wondered if you used more than 1 color. Since it stripes, to get that effect, did you just work a long row until you came to another color, and then turned it to get another color on the next row? Thanks, Mary Jane

I used the Earth colorway, and the stripes just sort of fell into place by themselves. I basically made my first row of the solomon knot stitches to be approx. 6 ft long, then just kept going back and forth lengthwise until it looked about the right size. It did take most of two skeins... just a tiny bit left over after I did the fringe. I tried to match the fringe colors to the color of the stripe that I was attaching it to, but basically, the yarn did the rest of the color work.

I love self-striping yarns. I've used the Noro Kureyon for some felted bags. Don't like it non-felted... I find it is very scratchy. The SWS is beautifully soft before felting, and makes a VERY sturdy, thick fabric after it's been felted.

Joan

That's a beautiful scarf! :cheer I love the colors and it looks really soft! My niece showed me something (a baby shawl) that I think had the same stitch, but I didn't know what it was till now. I will have to try it sometime.

Thanks for sharing!:cheer Great job1

The way the colors worked up is amazing...I have the Earth SWS at home and have not used it yet, but I am surprised that each row is a different color on your scarf when it seems the yarn in the ball is varigated...It is an amazing scarf...good work:clap

Archived