Question about thread sizes

librarycat513

If I have size 10 crochet thread, and I have a pattern that calls for size 3, can I crochet with a double (or triple strand) of size 10 to get an approximate size 3 or would that not work? :think

Thank you

Trippling it might work, I haven't tried it before, but I do know that # 3 is a good bit thicker that #10. If you try it out let us know if it works. That might be a good way to save on going into more debt for yarn! hahaha, wonder if anyone else has this problem? :0)

If you do I would suggest you do a gauge test. Using double stranded and the suggested hook size and if you get a reasonably close gauge then I'd say it could work. I might also do a swatch in #3 as well for comparison to make sure you like how it looks using double or maybe triple.

Some patterns (to me) don't work double stranded unless they were intended to be so.

The pattern I'm thinking about is the Juggling Balls pattern in the premiere issue of Crochet Today magazine. It calls for Aunt Lydia fashion crochet thread, size 3.

Of course, I could like not be a cheapskate and just buy some size 3. I've been wanting to anyway. But all those pretty size 10 colors ....

DMC Senso is size three and they have lots of colors. You might try that. Using mutliple strands in thread is something I have never tried. Tampa Doll has, she might have some ideas for you. You could PM her to see if she can assist.

Hi libary cat,, yes and no on doubling the threads.... I would do a sample piece and see what your eyes see. and use several hooks while your doing your practice,, the hooks makes the stitches look all different ! you be surprised!

You could do a couple of stitches and see what it looks like or do a couple of rows to what your making. Here is what I know about doubleing threads or yarns... It makes the stitches fatter,, there for bigger, and whatever your making will end up being bigger~~~,,,and you get done quicker. and the PLUS side is I love doing double threads or yarns... I don't like tripling threads or yarns, one is always loser then the others.

Let us know what worked for you...

Archived