Any tips on working with Chenille Thick & Quick yarn?

tiniree

Question

Hi Everyone -

I just bought 6 skeins of Lion Brand Chenille Thick & Quick in Periwinkle (on sale...couldn't pass up). I'd like to make a basic lapghan type throw using just a basic stitch.

I've never worked with this yarn before and am wondering if there are any quirks and/or tips you can give me when working with this yarn?

Marie :think

6 answers to this question

I love this yarn and have used it primarily for purses but one of my biggest suggestions would be to use a larger hook and don't wind the yarn into a ball and use it from the opposite end. This yarn can give your fingers "rug burn" if you use it from the wrong direction. (Does that make sense?) I haven't ever tried this yarn for a lapghan before, I think it may be a little heavy for that and this yarn does tend to "shed" so be careful.

Good luck!

Only thing I can think of is make sure you use a larger hook (P, Q, or S). I would also hand wash it only; I know my washing machine (coin operated for us and our apt bldg neighbors unfortunately) would eventually tear it to shreds. Maybe find a darker complimentary shade of Chenille T & Q to give it some color variation? Not sure if it will be tedious for you if it is all one color LOL

Always use a big needle for this stuff. Also, try a simple stitched pattern; intricate stitches arent good for this yarn since it sheds and can snap easily. good luck I made a blanky with chennile t&q and a french square pattern and it turned out very nice, but it remains a decorative blanky because of the shedding problem.

Try hard not to make mistakes because I have :blush and when you frog it, the yarn kinda...ummm...comes apart, for lack of a better description. It works up beautifully though. Nice find! :clap

Hi Marie, me too I got the last 6 skeins of perriwinkle my Hobby Lobby had for 3.00 a skein. Lion must be discontinuing the color or something. Anyway I an looking for a lapghan or a shrug /shawl for a coworker for Christmas. I have to say though I did make my youngest (25yo) son an afghan from this yarn about 3 years ago, and he LOVES it and sleeps with it every night. I do occassionally have to make repairs to it, but that is ok.

Now back to finding a pattern!!!

Hi Everyone -

I just bought 6 skeins of Lion Brand Chenille Thick & Quick in Periwinkle (on sale...couldn't pass up). I'd like to make a basic lapghan type throw using just a basic stitch.

I've never worked with this yarn before and am wondering if there are any quirks and/or tips you can give me when working with this yarn?

Marie :think

I just made a scarf with the Thick & Quick and I'm a beginner. I learned three things.

One: Making a blanket would have cost a fortune!

Two: It's fuzzy and hard to see individual strands so I chose a simple stitch. That fuzziness hid my mistakes though which is good because...

Three: It doesn't rip out very easily.

Hope this helps somebody!

Archived