Mystery stitch

sewingdervish

Question

blog-post.html

This is my first post!

I have an adorable baby bonnet that I want to reproduce. It is made with yarn (worsted I believe) the main body of the bonnet is a stitch I cannot figure out. I have asked several experienced hookers and it has stumped them all.

At first glance the stitch looks like a knit stockinette stitch. As soon as you examine the bonnet it is clear that it is an interesting crochet stitch.

blog-post_12.htmlhttp://samuraimom.blogspot.com/2006/09/blog-post.html

http://samuraimom.blogspot.com/2006/09/blog-post_12.html

The latest theory is that it is a form of tunisian crochet but websearches have not been able to find a match. I do have a photo but the stitch really doesn't show up well.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction??

21 answers to this question

Ok, I just spent some time with the split SC. with a small hook it looks like it is on the right track but the "v"s are to far apart, too small and the fabric is too stiff. As I progressed to larger hooks the holes get too large though the fabric loosens up. I don't THINK this will fit the bill.

I wish I could - I sent the bonnet to my great aunt months ago to see if she could figure it out and she still hasn't returned it. But when she does I will. I wish I had thought of that - of course it is one of the first things I looked at - Duh!

Sounds good. Just let me know when you get a photo and I'll take another look. :manyheart

Would it be possible to post a photo of the inner side? I would be able to tell immediately from the back side if it's Tunisian Knit Stitch.

I wish I could - I sent the bonnet to my great aunt months ago to see if she could figure it out and she still hasn't returned it. But when she does I will. I wish I had thought of that - of course it is one of the first things I looked at - Duh!

Hi,

I was browsing around today and thought of you when I came across this thread, it's a crocheted stockinette stitch, if you click on the link in the first message and watch the video and maybe look in the blog archive at the sweaters the blogger made for her twins you might be able to see if it's the same stitch. It sort of looks knit. If you can't pull up the video, basically every other row she inserts the hook from the back of the work to the front but still under both loops of the previous row.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33775

Angie in NC

Hmmm . . . try not turning. Start each row with RS facing. It makes a difference in the Vs. Make sure you are going through the middle of the sc and not between them. And keep the stitches loose. That helps control the swearing that comes with trying to stick a hook through tight stitches.:lol

I've seen this stitch before. It was on a brown bear and really did look like stochinette....so much so I overlooked the pattern because I would never knit a bear. If I remember correctly it was just a single crochet but made it twist so that the top v's were facing out. I can't find the pattern but I'll keep looking. I may have seen it in an old book in the library.

It kinda looks like the "raised double ridges" pattern as in the crochet stitch bible on paige 163. I am going to look at some more patterns and see if I can come up with a closer looking pattern.

Gosh, I am really intrigued now :)

Could you possibly post your pic? Even if it isn't too clear there may be someone here who can identify it for you.

Smiles,

Hello sewingdervish, :welcome to the 'Ville!

If it is a Tunisian stitch, it sounds like it might be Tunisian knit stitch; there's a pic here and tons of other Tunisian stitches here.

Hope this helps!

Smiles,

Archived