Wal-Mart Price Increase

dottie

It is probably better not to by the pounders. I used one yesterday and was highly disappointed......every few inches there was a glob of yarn like it had not been made into the ply correctly. Never had this happen before

I seldom buy yarn at Wal-mart but picked up 15 skeins of Homespun for $1 apiece last week. I don't know where I'll put it but I couldn't pass it up since I like the yarn and winter is coming.

I lwent to my local wal-mart yesterday and found they were replacing a lot of the 7oz, RH with the pounders, like light sage and red and several other colors, what is that all about?

If Walmart decides to do that around here, people will simply stop buying RH yarn there and go to Joanns or Michaels where it is more affordable.

They don't have the RH pounders here, but we rarely get any of the larger skeins. Fine by me since I rarely do projects that need that much of one color.

What irks me though is that recently they raised the price of baby yarn to over $3. It used to be $2.50. I went today and they had an entire aisle devoted to "clearance" yarn. The baby yarn had a pink tag marked $2.50. They just increased the price a few weeks ago, only to put it on "sale" at the regular price. I bought one skein only because if they weren't going to have it anymore, I needed that color to match one I have at home. Most of their other clearance items weren't on clearance either. At least I don't find a 3 cent difference from the regular price clearance. You have to be really careful about buying clearance items here if you are buying them thinking you are getting a good deal. They are well known for putting pink stickers over the real price, yet the clearance price is the same. Or they mark it down a few cents, I guess thinking the pink tag will make you buy. I don't know how many people notice, I know the first time I got cheated that way, I began taking notice. Now, I always compare the real price to the sale.

I seldom buy yarn at Wal-mart but picked up 15 skeins of Homespun for $1 apiece last week. I don't know where I'll put it but I couldn't pass it up since I like the yarn and winter is coming.

WOW! I was actually at the Wally World on Algonquin and Golf just the other day and saw some Homespun for $3 (2 or 3 colors), which is still a good deal, but I don't recall seeing anything for $1...or I would have bought out the whole stock!

WOW! I was actually at the Wally World on Algonquin and Golf just the other day and saw some Homespun for $3 (2 or 3 colors), which is still a good deal, but I don't recall seeing anything for $1...or I would have bought out the whole stock!

I found mine at the WalMart in Streamwood, but it was gone the next day.

I finally got to one of my Wal-marts today and they also raised the price to $5.88 and there were only a couple of skeins left in Sherbert Print. But they did have about 6-8 new colors of both varigated and solids that I have not seen at either AC Moore or Michaels. Two of them had already been there for a few weeks, the rest must have just come in.

Their clearance bin at the end of the cutting table is still a bit too high for me. Several months ago, they had quite a bit for $1 of the NOBO (which I picked up for trim on bags and scarves) but so far, nothing really good.

LI Roe

Archived