Native American/Indian Afghan Colors

I am making a lapghan/afghan for my aunt's fathers. He loves Native American or Indian Designs. He has no color likes or dislike, he just wants the pattern to be Native American. I can find the designs, but I don't understand the color thing. Most of the patterns and color suggestions look like they are originally done in the 70s. Like orange, brown, pea green and mustard yellow. Are these really the right colors or are there different colors for different patterns/tribes. I am a confused niece who has just met her Aunt's father. Please help me. :help

No pastels!!! Think of what the Native People had to use for dyes--plants and minerals. Go with red (dark brick), black, white, off-white, brown, maybe rust. Blue is hard to create because it's only available from a small number of natural sources, which is why for many years archaeologists speculated over where and how the Maya made their bright blue paint (interesting tidbit for you for cocktail trivia--I was a Maya archaeologist for 15 years, so I'm not making that up). There aren't very many plants with real blue flowers. Turquoise was used in Native jewelry, but the color was never in weaving. Since Native patterns are often very geometrical, they would translate very well to crochet. There are tons of sources on the web if you want inspiration. Try googling Anasazi, Pueblo weavers, Native American crafts, etc. to be inspired by their gorgeous art. Patty

Colors are very important. I am only familiar with the Lakota Sioux, since I run an organization that delivers things there on the Pine Ridge Reservation. The Sioux colors are Red/Black/Yellow/White. They have a significant meaning...for instance traveling the great red road...the road of peace, where the black is the road of war, and the two must always intersect. It really is quite interesting. Anyway, that is Sioux, I am not sure about other tribes though.

Veronica

Thanks for those facts DesertCrocheter! I learned something new today:) and I also looked up all the names you suggested and learned some more:D

I found this site and it has some rugs/tapestries on it that you could use as example:) speaking of native american art I wish I could turn Joanne Birds paintings into crochet/knitting I love her paintings:manyheart

http://www.geocities.com/serenitwav/navajo.html

i would say this is my favorite navajo style pattern...the colors are accurate as well as the geometry of the design. my husband is navajo so i know a lil' bit about this topic!

one thing..if you want to be really authentic..since you are making this afghan for a man, don't put fringe on it. men's blankets are fringeless (they're called robes) women's blankets are the ones with the fringe (shawls)

Oh, I want to thank each of you for your help and insight. I can not tell you enough how thankful I am that there are so many people here that know about the Native American cultures. I just want this lapghan to look right in his home. He is a collector of Native American artwork and knows a lot about the various cultures. However since it is a Christmas gift for him and his daughter has just married into the family 2 yrs ago (I've met her 3 times) I don't have any real concept of his likes or dislikes. I only know what she has told me.

I have decided on one of these three patterns....

Navajo Indian

Southwest Cables Afghan

Native American Afghan

it is hard to choose one. I am going to use some or all of these colors Black, Light/Medium Brown, White or Cream, Brick Red and Grayish tones. It all depends on the type/brand of yarn I decide to use... color availability.

• 1 year later...
http://www.geocities.com/serenitwav/navajo.html

i would say this is my favorite navajo style pattern...the colors are accurate as well as the geometry of the design. my husband is navajo so i know a lil' bit about this topic!

one thing..if you want to be really authentic..since you are making this afghan for a man, don't put fringe on it. men's blankets are fringeless (they're called robes) women's blankets are the ones with the fringe (shawls)

This is the pattern my mom used to make a variety of afghans for different folks. Instead of using the original colors, she would decide on a color theme and use three shades of the theme color,with white as the constant color. Each colorway took on its own personality, and was just beautiful. I even liked the pink one..and I'm not a "pink" fan at all. The nicest was the orange one she made to match my cousin's corvette. She also made one in baby colors for my oldest dd, and it was pretty too If I decide to make it myself, I think I'll go back and use the traditional Native American colors, just because I love them. This is just a really nice pattern.

Archived