Does anyone know any crochet superstitions?

a post in another category got me thinking about this. I've heard that its bad luck not to finish a project, I think my mom told me that if you don't finish a blanket then you'll never get married. (not that she believes that).

I've also heard if you're frogging and the yarn breaks its bad luck as well.

Does anyone else know of any superstitions relating to crocheting?

Lee Ann

I dont' know if this applies to crocheting, but I know quilters say you have to leave one mistake in everything you make, or it's bad luck for the recipient. No problem where my crocheting is concerned!! :lol

I don't know of anything related to crochet, but when I share the fruits of my garden, I tell people not to thank me, because if I am thanked, my garden won't grow for the next season.

well theres the sweater curse... if you make a sweater for a bf the relationship will be over before you're done

and these are kinda related

if you give a purse/wallet/other money holder you have to put at least a penny inside it (or it'll never have money in it or somethin like that)

and if you give something sharp to someone, like a pin, they have to give you a penny for every point (pretty sure its to avoid getting stuck by the sharp)

Well, that explains why I never got married -:lol . Started an afghan when I was a teenager and my mother is now working on it about 30 years later!

Well, my Mom always told me.:think

"Always leave a hidden mistake in your crocheting, so your soul can escape." Being Irish (no offense to anyone), she always believed that you left a little bit of your soul in everything you made, so you made a hidden mistake so it wouldn't be trapped forever.

Hey, only superstition I know of, when it comes to crochet or knitting.:hook

Interesting ......... so .... being the google fool that I am.....

In Ancient Greek Mythology, the minor goddess Minerva wove tapestries of historical events. It was customary in the Middle Ages, to decorate castles and large homes with these woven tapestries on the walls. Minerva is now the goddess who oversees all forms of needlework, including knitting and crocheting and embroidery. Her caution is to work one small mistake into the project, not where it will damage a pattern, just so that the finished work will not be perfect and make the gods (or other crafters) jealous.

Interesting ......... so .... being the google fool that I am.....

In Ancient Greek Mythology, the minor goddess Minerva wove tapestries of historical events. It was customary in the Middle Ages, to decorate castles and large homes with these woven tapestries on the walls. Minerva is now the goddess who oversees all forms of needlework, including knitting and crocheting and embroidery. Her caution is to work one small mistake into the project, not where it will damage a pattern, just so that the finished work will not be perfect and make the gods (or other crafters) jealous.

Well then, the gods will never be jealous of me! :lol:P

lol me either, i'm always trying to cover up mistakes! i had a friend who i was teaching to crochet, she was doing really good while i was around, then i left her alone with it for the weekend and she had rows that were increasing then decreasing, it was very wavy looking. she was upset cause she was making it for her mother for christmas, but i told her just to call it abstract art haha.

Lee Ann

well theres the sweater curse... if you make a sweater for a bf the relationship will be over before you're done

and these are kinda related

if you give a purse/wallet/other money holder you have to put at least a penny inside it (or it'll never have money in it or somethin like that)

and if you give something sharp to someone, like a pin, they have to give you a penny for every point (pretty sure its to avoid getting stuck by the sharp)

That's never happened to me...I've made sweaters for bf's and they were able to wear said sweater...and it would be a long while before we'd break up...and I make sweaters for DH and he wears them all the time through the winter...

I'm one of those that believes in leaving at least one mistake in a project...and it's a good rule of thumb...keeps you from tensing up trying to make the item "perfect..."

Other than that, don't have any other crochet superstitions...oh wait...yes, in a weird way I do...creativity begats creativity...an artist block only happens if you stop trying to be creative, if you stop doing what you're doing...breaks are fine...and necessary...but when fear takes over, then you're lost...I went through several years of an artistic block because it started out that I thought I had to be an adult and focus on other things...it lasted 5 years, and it lasted that long because at some point I feared I would never be able to be creative again...and then the dam burst and what got me back in the swing of things was crocheting (thank God...) after that nothing stopped me, or stopped me for long...and I never wanted to go through another spell like that again...so my motto is always be proactive in whatever I want to accomplish...artistic or otherwise...that was 20 years ago I ended my artistic block...

^ lol yeah i dont believe in that stuff, its just one ive heard of

it was discussed on craftster and the general opinion is the boy gets nervous by the commitment it takes to make something that big

There is an element of truth to it, I will grant you that...I remember when Donny Osmond got married to his wife Debbie. It was noted in the newspaper clipping that everyone knew they were serious when she made him a quilt, as something handmade and that detailed would be a sign of commitment or something like that. And even when I've made a simple greeting card for a boy friend, they would be genuinely touched, but slightly unnerved...only because they really weren't used to having anyone do things like that for them...it never stopped me from making things for people, but some people view that as being "intimate..."

Archived