What is this called?

What is the correct name for the childrens bobbin style thing tahat makes the long ropes of "knit stitch" with yarn and a crochet hook?

My daughter has two and just today went to town with it (even worked on this int he car on the way to swim lessons) because she is making a toy for her cat.

I want to keep her interest sparked and am looking for other ideas of what she can make with these ropes of yarn.

• 1 month later...

How about making 3 ropes in different colors about the size her waist plus some inches. Then braid the 3 together to make a belt? Or make short ones and braid into a hairband? How about adding beads before knitting it and she can add them every so many to create a pattern along the rope as she knits it. You can take the rope and fold it into "petals" and sew it together in the center to create a flower pin/magnet/hairclip. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a kit at wallyworld that had some cute bugs to make. Basically you bend the tube into whatever shape, anchor it with the tail, accessorize with pipecleaners, google eyes, etc....it showed butterflies, snails, and so on...actually bought one for DS but he's found it frusttrating so far, trying to figure out how to hold onto, and maneuver so many things at once...he's only just 5 yet.

Herrscheners has a book called "Corking" that has patterns for things to do with the cord you make with those knitting knobbies. I love using those to make handles for purses, it is fun and addictive!

Archived