How long have you been a hooker?

Guest Yarnentangled

I read somewhere that crochet and knitting became really vogue right after 9/11.

All I know is one day in 2001 I just decided to learn how to crochet with my mom's old hooks. I took a lot of breaks in there but I'd eventually pick it up again.I even took a class but was disappointed that I already knew how to make the granny squares that they were learning. I don't think the granny square is a good intro to crochet. Too complicated for those who have never held a hook.

Anyway. I just stick to teaching myself at my own pace but I miss the company of fellow crochet nuts.

In 2004 I really got obsessed with crocheting. So much that I haven't taken a break for about 5 months so far.

32 years, on and off. My babysitter taught me how to do the granny square. She let me use her scrap yarn. I still have an "afghan" I made for my doll, it is just a big granny square, really ugly colors together because it is made from scraps and nothing matches. My daughter now has it for her dolls!

I have gone back to it on and off but for some reason this time I think I won't stop. All the other times I did it were for a particular item I wanted to make and then that would be it. But now I have so many projects in my mind that I don't think I will ever be able to finish them!

I've been crocheting since April 1970.:)) Pregnant with my oldest son, was shopping one day, saw the prettiest pink,blue,and white ripple baby afghan. Box said complete instructions inside. Got home all excited , ready to start, instructions were greek. went back to that same store, (woolworth's) bought a book learn to crochet, and taught myself. l gave that afghan to my oldest son two years ago when he got his first child, a girl.

Did the yarn thing for a while, but thread is my love. I finally thought I was good enough to attempt a bedspread, so when hubby was diagnosed with cancer, I started the spread. Two years later, chemo all finished, so was the spread. Instead of being full size, it ended up being queen. My oldest granddaughter will get it when she marries. She's 9 now, and this is her wedding gift if she gets that far, or maybe a housewarming gift. somewhere down the road, she will get this from Grandma, along with the story of how I started it and why.

I would rather crochet than eat480x360_mybedspread.jpg

I have been crocheting for about 50 years. I learned on size 10 crochet cotton, made small doilys but dont have any old ones left.

After I got married I learned to work with yarn, and made hats and{ granny squares which was the hardest thing for me to learn]. but did make an afghan.

Then I decided I was going to do some of my own designs.

making doilys, I made the first one and mailed it off and was really surprized when they bought it .but they wanted a different color, so I made it for them

I was really proud to have them buy it I made 4 more and sold them to the same company, they where published in there magazines,

Then in 2003 I made 7 afghans for my family as gifts. 2004 I made 3 as gifts.

Crochet is a passion with me I love it

Evelyn

I started hooking in my sophmore year at college. Um...that would be about 10 years ago :blush

I had been fascinated with one of the mothers on my Youth Bowling League who crocheted years before, but she didn't have the patience to teach me. So when I met my "big sis" at college and found out she crocheted (she sold lovely baby blankets), I bugged her to teach me. She showed me a basic ripple and set me on my way. :)h

Since then I've done about one afghan a year, but in the last six months I've really picked it up. I've done a scarf, a really cool afghan for my niece, some thread doilies and bookmarks, and dishclothes. I'm contemplating a shawl (I found the most gorgeous purple micro-fiber yarn!), socks, and more thread projects. Partly because I found this community! You gals really know how to encourage and inspire!

As for obsessed, no, not yet. But I have found myself feeling lost if I don't crochet ... SOMETHING .. at least once a day for the last couple of weeks. :bad

Man, I know how to go on don't I? I'm shutting up now. ;)

Archived