Butterfly Shawl Crochet Along from knit.1 mag

Hi Lisaizme

We'll have to stick to crocheted butterflies at DD's wedding;)

Monarch butterflies being released here would mean a whole lot of dead butterflies very quickly...... ick......

Now, if I had the ability to grow the plants that silk butterflies eat, then........ oh, yes! I'd be nursing them along! :D

'course, we could always make origami butterflies for the wedding.....

:think

back to work here........... LOL!

hugs

Noreen:manyheart:dog time to walk the dogs.......

www.crone-findlay.com

Hi everyone,

I was reading my gmail (about butterfly shawls & afghans & whatnot) and noticed a web-clip at the top about Butterflies...

My curiosity piqued, I followed the link, and it is a company that supplies Butterflies for releasing for special occasions (like weddings!!)

Thought Noreen or her daughter might possibly be interested...

http://www.butterflyreleasecompany.com/

I'm on the last few squares of the BF afghan for my daughter .. I would've been finished, but I decided that 12 11inch squares didn't make it big enough. I had to make 8 more so it's a 4 square x 5 square afghan. (plus the border)

Then I may start playing with the shawl squares. I bought some 1 skein of blue variegated Omega Sinfonia just for this .. but still have to find some thinner thread for the net. Wouldn't you know this comes up after I've given away all my size 10 thread?? :D figures.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Lisaizme

We'll have to stick to crocheted butterflies at DD's wedding;)

Monarch butterflies being released here would mean a whole lot of dead butterflies very quickly...... ick......

Now, if I had the ability to grow the plants that silk butterflies eat, then........ oh, yes! I'd be nursing them along! :D

'course, we could always make origami butterflies for the wedding.....

:think

back to work here........... LOL!

hugs

Noreen:manyheart:dog time to walk the dogs.......

www.crone-findlay.com

I agree.. ick. Oh well, it was just a thought. Origami sounds interesting.

My daughter Ah Leah used to do all kinds of Origami and maybe she would know a butterflly pattern - I sitll have the books I bought for her - maybe I could look since she's in Virginia now *big duh on my part*... I think she made a zillion paper cranes - she used to see how tiny she could get them (pretty tiny) and I don't remember how big she'd make them:lol .... Happy memory

Hallo Paulette

My daughter and I are both origami officianados, too :)

I love making origami dolls. Chloe folded almost a thousand cranes- but has been so busy lately that I doubt if she has finished the full thousand. Maybe she and her fiance can use them at the wedding!:rose

Could be very neat!

:hug

Noreen

www.crone-findlay.com

My daughter Ah Leah used to do all kinds of Origami and maybe she would know a butterflly pattern - I sitll have the books I bought for her - maybe I could look since she's in Virginia now *big duh on my part*... I think she made a zillion paper cranes - she used to see how tiny she could get them (pretty tiny) and I don't remember how big she'd make them:lol .... Happy memory

Well done, Becky!:cheer:clap

Bravo!

:hook

Noreen

this is what I've been working on while I have been spinning silk for DD's shawl:

http://www.crone-findlay.com/ChubbyDollSpoolknittersOrderPage.html

(also working on some other really fun and neat things.... will tell more later!)

:ghug

Hi All!

So far I'm up to 7 butterflies done - 14 regular and 7 triangle to go! I think I can acutally finish this...wow, a finished project. That would be an accomplishment for me!!

Hi All!

Just finished my first butterfly. Not too bad for a first try, the second wing went much quicker than the first and I'm sure the next ones will go even quicker :) I'm sure you guys can also pic out the mistake on the first wing too, lol. I really like the sheen of the Halcyon 5/2 cotton. I used 3 threads instead of 4. The color is a royal blue, the pic just doesn't do it justice.

You can see it at:

http://www.unravelings.net/miscpics/butterfly.jpg

That's a LOVELY butterfly. I love the color. Okay, I'll start with 3 strands of Halcyon 5/2 as well. Thanks for the info!

Ah Leah, you look great with the slightly grown-in "mohawk".

I have looked within 50 miles radius for the mag but had no luck. If someone would pick me up one I would gladly pay for it plus the shipping cost.:embar

I used to see tons of copies at local bookstores (Borders, B&N, etc.), but they have been phasing them out and the last time I was there, there were only two tired-looking copies left. I'll look today and pick one up for you if they still have it.

If all else fails, here is a link to order it online... Here is also an ebay listing with a bit lower price and a lot lower shipping if you use media mail.

I should have just picked up a few copies when I saw lots of them...eh?

Edited to add: No more copies at the local Border's...

blondi, if you still need the magazine PM me and I'll try to find it for you, too....

Hey EVERYBODY! I got my Halcyon thread today and it so BEAUTIFUL! I picked a bunch of colors (decisions, decisions - not good at making them) and I'm gonna have to roll some balls so I can hold the four strands together... funny, but this #10 thread does appear to be a smaller gauge than the #10 thread I bought at Michaels :think - the Michael's stuff I was using just two strands and getting some decent butterflies, but I can see with this Halcyon I'll be able to use four! I'm so excited!!!!

I haven't made a butterfly in a while:( 'cause stupid work kept me so busy... and I've been making this cape with a pattern that is terribly difficult for me to read... I think something was lost in the translation... Here's the link to that little challenge if anyone feels so inclined as to want to "help" I was able to do the increases and now Im on the graph part... I'm just sort of winging it (no pun intended) http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32675

OH, but i must go make a butterfly!!!!! YIPPEE!!!!

Hey Paulette...I'm behind on a bunch of WIP's, but maybe this weekend I'll start making a butterfly or two...

A funny aside that I have to share with you...I subscribed to Knit.1 after I got the magazine from you...(thank you again...) and the next thing I know, I ended up with 2 bills, and 2 copies of the same issue of the magazine for the next month...well...hmmmmm...so I call customer service to cancel one and they had 3, count 'em 3 subscriptions for me...got it down to one...*whew...* I did that recently with another magazine subscription...I think I'm getting old.

Happy Butterfly making Paulette...

I have had my shawl done for a week but have not had the opportunity to take a picture and get it on here. We will be busy for the holiday weekend, but I will post a pic after I get back - probably on Tuesday. Have a good weekend all.

Your delinquent CAL-pal here... I did finally get my Halcyon sample card in my hand the other day (I was away on vacation). It is soooo much better than looking at them on the screen (duh). :lol And the colors are beautiful.

I AM going to work on this shawl, I swear! ...after I'm done with my tea pot cozy swap...

I haven't made a butterfly in a while:( 'cause stupid work kept me so busy... and I've been making this cape with a pattern that is terribly difficult for me to read... I think something was lost in the translation... Here's the link to that little challenge if anyone feels so inclined as to want to "help" I was able to do the increases and now Im on the graph part... I'm just sort of winging it (no pun intended) http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32675

That's a very pretty poncho. I'm not much of a poncho person, but I could imagine wearing something like that. Would look very cool with jeans.

Your delinquent CAL-pal here... I did finally get my Halcyon sample card in my hand the other day (I was away on vacation). It is soooo much better than looking at them on the screen (duh). :lol And the colors are beautiful.

I AM going to work on this shawl, I swear! ...after I'm done with my tea pot cozy swap...

Me too:) tea cozy pal! Not to mention I need to get cracking on things for my secret pal ;)

I finally have a plan. I bought some dmc baroque. I will make all the butterflies then I plan to dye them afterwards. I want a multi-colored shawl. I will dye some yarn, I think blue, like the butterflies are flying in the sky to join them.

However, I reserve the creative right to change my mind. :yes:lol

Hey Paulette...I'm behind on a bunch of WIP's, but maybe this weekend I'll start making a butterfly or two...

A funny aside that I have to share with you...I subscribed to Knit.1 after I got the magazine from you...(thank you again...) and the next thing I know, I ended up with 2 bills, and 2 copies of the same issue of the magazine for the next month...well...hmmmmm...so I call customer service to cancel one and they had 3, count 'em 3 subscriptions for me...got it down to one...*whew...* I did that recently with another magazine subscription...I think I'm getting old.

Happy Butterfly making Paulette...

Wow, I wonder how THAT happened? I didn't subscribe you or anything... just sent the mag...

You know what, though - when I first got the magazine and realized how cool it is I subscribed, and sure enough, got my SECOND copy of it... so now I have two... guess in case I lose one:think I'll have a spare!

I have had my shawl done for a week but have not had the opportunity to take a picture and get it on here. We will be busy for the holiday weekend, but I will post a pic after I get back - probably on Tuesday. Have a good weekend all.

OH, I can't wait to see it!!! This is so exciting!

I am so behind... I feel like I have ADD or something :bounce - I keep moving from one WIP to the next with no clear plan. Oh, and I keep buying yarn and thread. And of course there's stupid day job that keeps me busy.

:faint Oh, whoa is me...

I have four, count 'em, FOUR days off, so I'm gonna make some more butterflies in just the off-white (aka, blah color) 'cause I REALLY wanna finish something - anything! I haven't actually finished anything in a long time:loser... or maybe I'll work on the Lisette shawl... SEE???? It's happening again:thair

Wow, I wonder how THAT happened? I didn't subscribe you or anything... just sent the mag...

You know what, though - when I first got the magazine and realized how cool it is I subscribed, and sure enough, got my SECOND copy of it... so now I have two... guess in case I lose one:think I'll have a spare!

I wasn't suspecting you honest...I just thought it was so funny...and it is quite possible that I did subscribe 3 times...but when I called customer service, not one of the addresses, which were all to the APO addy, were correct, soooo, I'm thinking I subscribed twice and whomever was keying in the subscriptions just wasn't paying attention and keyed in one twice and made typos while they were at it...who knows for sure...

...and whomever was keying in the subscriptions just wasn't paying attention and keyed in one twice and made typos while they were at it...who knows for sure...

I've been married, um, let's say more than once and one of my previous names was made into Housefly by transposing a couple letters... needless to say, at the time I was NOT amuzed...:no

I finally have a plan. I bought some dmc baroque. I will make all the butterflies then I plan to dye them afterwards. I want a multi-colored shawl. I will dye some yarn, I think blue, like the butterflies are flying in the sky to join them.

That sounds beautiful! Can't wait to see a picture.

However, I reserve the creative right to change my mind. :yes:lol

Don't you just love being an artist? :D

I've been married, um, let's say more than once and one of my previous names was made into Housefly by transposing a couple letters... needless to say, at the time I was NOT amuzed...:no

I'm wrecking my brain trying to think what the original name could be...:lol I have a 4-letter "cuss word" in my real last name. :eek

After staring at the Halcyon sample card for many days, I am actually leaning toward ecru. With the winter coming, the butterflies will show well against dark clothing, and a neutral color will go with anything.

Any suggestions?

:yay Here are the finished pictures of the completed shawl. :cheer I did the butterflies with 1 strand of Patons Grace and the mesh with 1 strand of a nice mercerized cotton and achieved the same gauge. I made my fringe only hang 12" long as I am not overly tall. Thanks guys - this was fun.:manyheart

IMG_5604.jpg

There are a couple of more pics of the shawl on my blog. Thanks for looking.

That is absolutely stunning - can't believe how the colours make it look so elegant! Not that the original isn't of course, but I just couldn't stop looking at your version, and that's the word that came to mind - "elegant"

Congratulations, it was worth the effort indeed.

Archived