Self-Striping Yarn sock

Michelle

what type of yarn did u use to where you had to dye it with food coloring? also how did u make it stripe like that? It is nice by the way and I love the colors.

Thanks for the compliments. I used superwash fingering weight wool yarn and used the tutorial here http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2005/12/techniques_selfstriping_yarn.html

Basically, you crochet a few rows of the foot part of your sock, then unravel a row, measure it, then multiple the measurement by the number of rows in your stripe sequence (I had 6 - 2 rows of each colour) and wind a skein that length, then dye in sections.

It was a bit of a pain to wind the extra long skein skein, but I am quite pleased with the result - not sure if I would have the patience to do it again though!

Michelle

Cupcake, I added vinegar to the 'dye bath' which acts as a fixative. I have some socks I knitted with food colour dyed yarn that have been washed several times, with no fading or colour bleeding. I understand that after some time the colour may fade a little.

Michelle

Archived