Questions from a newbie Crocheter!

Bear with me please! When I say newbie, I mean newbie!

I wanted to post this awhile ago, but ezboard kept timing out on me!!! :grrrr

Anyway, my first question is I bought these thread "balls" from AC Moore and I really like the thread. It's by Coats and it's called Opera and it's kind of silky feeling and really soft and I love it. I bought them because they were small enough to fit in my handbag for our flight out to Sicily about a month ago. I can't find any place online that sells them and being in Sicily, I don't exactly have an LYS. I guess my question is, is there a difference between the #10 threads that are out there? I can get the other #10 threads online, but can't find the Opera thread anywhere.

Also, how do you know what kind of tension you are supposed to use for different projects? I have noticed that some say to "loosely chain" so many and others don't. My Mom says my tension is really tight, but when I try to make it looser, my guage turns out larger than what the pattern calls for.

Sorry if I have asked too much at once. I am really trying as I absolutely love crocheting. Also, it's something that my 8 year old son and I can do together because he likes to crochet as well. I just want to make sure that I am showing him the right way to do it! Thanks for your help and your patience. Take care.

Elizabeth

Hello Elizabeth! Welcome to Crochetville.

Feel free to ask away here. It's a great place to get your questions answered. Unfortunatly, I'm not a threadie. So I can't help you there. But I doubt it will take long for someone else to get you the information you need. :)

Have fun!

Amber

I just use the same tension for all my projects, and I've never had a problem. Sometimes it helps to make your foundation chain loose because foundation chains can be tighter than the rest of your work, which may kind of curve the bottom of your item, at least in my experience. The best thing you can do if you're not sure about your tension is check your guage, even though it's a pain in the butt. As you crochet more, you'll start to feel more comfortable with your tension. Good luck! I hope that all made sense.

hi elizabeth,:welcome :welcome , i would think that that thread might be the same weight. can you get some #10 and compair? i haven't seen that particular thread(although it sounds lovely) but if it is bed spread weight, it is #10. also if you are crocheting to tight, try using a bigger hook, that way you still have the same amount of stitches for the pattern, but will match the guage better. do a swatch test first, in other words, make a small amount of the pattern and then measure it. good luck and if ya need help come on back and ask, we are always glad to help someone., you are sooooo lucky getting to go to sicily. my hubbys grandparents are from there. would love to see italy and especially where grandma and grandpa grew up. :sun :sun vicki

Archived