Just Cro-chet While You Work!

Now don't get me wrong--I do not crochet when I'm actually "on the job", but in my line of work (education) we have so many meetings every week that I can't STAND just sitting there listening to someone drone on and on with do nothing with my hands.

In fact, since I've started taking my crochet to work to do during these meetings, I've experienced less frustration, and greater peace of mind--even when things are not looking so good.

I'd recommend taking your crochet to work for "just those situations" when you can listen and still work (and people will not mind too terribly). I've gotten quite the reputation for being "artsy" because of it, and people are very curious about that "thing" "my grandma used to do". :grandma

Couldn't agree more highly! I have begun to take my crochet to work and during the 'down' time it is so relaxing to have something enjoyable and productive to do.

I'm a court reporter so I sit there with that little machine and take down testimony - but when they go "off record" for a while - sometimes half an hour or more - to talk about things, it gets SO boring listening to them blah blah blah and it's nothing I need to even be paying attention to. I can't leave because they may suddenly say, "okay. Let's go back on the record." so I work on my crochet, and I can set it right into my lap and get my hands on the machine instantly!

Agreed! It is SO nice not to sit there wanting to nod off on slow days, being able to crochet at my desk. I work at a call center/helpdesk, and when there aren't many calls/tickets coming in to work, everybody does their own thing, whether reading, surfing the net a bit, or working on their own project. Well, this is mine. I don't feel so chained to, or trapped at, my desk now, thankfully!

OH I agree, I worked in a catalog sales office (on Family Leave) and did all my crocheting between calls, especially i n the 'slow season'. My boss loves us to crochet as it keeps bickering down and keeps us quiet. We've made some pretty amazing things; and I think I miss that most about being off work. I haven't finished nearly as many projects despite all my 'free time'.

Oh I do the same thing! I'm an analyst that supports our customer service centers. I only have work to do when they need something from me. It's considered "business critical", since when I'm working it means a customer is sitting somewhere waiting! I'm not allowed to find other work to keep me busy during the downtimes because of this. So I keep busy by crocheting and doing some reading :)

I've been crocheting at work for quite awhile now. I work alone in an office all day and about 85% of the time there is nothing to do. When all my work is done and there are no customers to wait on or paperwork to do, I crochet. In an average day I can crochet at least 4 hours... I would never put it above my work, work comes first, but the other times when there's nothing to do, I would rather crochet to pass the time than stare blindly into space...

I used to work in a cigarette/cigar shop. I crocheted all the time! Thats when I got started on crocheting with plastic bags and customers started bringing me some that were colorful etc. Crocheted other stuff too and even sold some of my stuff. Was a great converstation thing too.

Archived