Tapestery

LoveHime

I tired my hand in tapestery crochet last night. I'm not to happy with the final outcome but it looks okay for my first attempt. I would like for the image to look smoother than it is so if anyone has any tips or hints I'd be happy to hear how to improve my work.:scrachin

I'm still not sure how to tell the right side from the wrong side so I have pic's of both sides:

Side 1

Side 2

I think your heart looks nice! I'm new to Tapestry Crochet also, but I got nice results from using Caron's Simply Soft and a smaller (than I would normally use)hook. I crocheted fairly tightly and kept pulling the back ends snugly. My hands were pretty tired when I was done with the little tiny necklace pouch at Carol Ventura's web sight.

• 5 months later...

Try crocheting the heart without turning the piece at the end of every row. You can do that by sticking the hook under the top two loops of the stitch from back to front every other row. That way, the front and back will look different and the edge of the heart will be smoother.

I think it is good for your first try. I tried it once ;but didn't much care for it. keep trying you might find you like it however. I love hearts. pinkroses

Well done, LoveHime! I think you did great.

I haven't tried Tapestry Crochet yet, but this is the way I do colour changes when following a graph on a flat piece of work. See if this helps smooth the line for you:

• Normally you work the last stitch before the colour change only up to the point where you still have 2 loops on your hook. Yarn over with the second colour and complete the stitch. Do it this usual way when the line of the design moves one stitch to the right.

• If the line moves one stitch to the left, I use a slightly different method: work up to the second stitch before the colour change completing the whole stitch. Now increase by starting another stitch in the same place, but stop at the point where you have 2 loops left on your hook; pick up the second colour, yo and complete the stitch. Then, working with the new colour, decrease over the next 2 sts. This gives a much smoother line.

I don't use this increase/decrease technique if the colour moves more than one stitch to the left; it just helps make a nicer outline in one-stitch-at-a-time, diagonal moves.

Hope this helps!

Archived