Shawls

kisha29

Question

Is there a set way that shawls are suppose to look? Do they have to be triangle in shape or is it then considered a wrap? I was trying to make a shawl (of my own pattern) but it doesn't look right to me, but it's my own pattern/design so it's no big deal to me but i was just wondering.

8 answers to this question

I think rectangles are usally called stoles. Triangles are usually shawls. Both can be wraps. I've seen all three terms used on both styles. Here's what the dictionary says:

Stole:

a long wide scarf or similar covering worn by women usually across the shoulders

Shawl:

pixt.gifa square or oblong usually fabric garment or wrapper used especially as a covering for the head or shoulders

Wrap:

pixt.gifan article of clothing that may be wrapped round a person; especially : an outer garment (as a coat or shawl)

:think

Besides rectangular and triangular, I have seen round, trapeziod, and even some "asymmetrical" wraps ALL called a shawl. Look at the Prayer Shawls, they are all rectangles. So I guess it just depends on what (you) the designer wants to call it.

Tina

To me a shawl is made of yarn, ie crochet or knitted. I think of them in the triangular form. Except for baby shawls which are square, or rectangular, or even circular, just to confuse things.

A stole is long and rectangular.

A wrap in my mind is more fabric based ala a Pashmina.

A stole , again in my head imay be more fur based.

Now there is no science behind my explanations, just how I think of them....

So when you have figured that lot out, here are some extra things to ponder... What is the difference between a cardigan, a pullover, a jersey and a jumper...??:think

And what is the difference between a shrug, a bolero and a vest.:think :think

And how do you know if it is a rug, a blanket or an afghan??? :D

Now I am totally bamboozled.

I think rectangles are usally called stoles. Triangles are usually shawls. Both can be wraps. I've seen all three terms used on both styles. :think

Yeah see that's what confused me, I've 'wraps' used in place of 'shawl' and 'stole' so it was just making my head spin. :think :think :think

All those words really are confusing... I have no idea what the difference between a shrug, bolero and other items are.

I've always thought of shawls as triangular and fringed. Though, there are the rectangular ones, which I guess are wraps.

My by no means official opinion is that a shawl is a triangle. Or, to be more specific, a the ends of the shawl will come down to narrower points. The long end, the one hanging down the back, can be rounded or otherwise shaped, and I think it would still be a shawl if the other ends were tapered. Does that help or just make it more confusing?

Archived