Trying to make a baby blanket!

Dreamingintx

Question

I'm stuck and wondered if anyone could translate please?!

I'm okay with this first little bit but I read in another thread sometimes its helpful to post the rnd before :)

Start: Ch 4, join with sl st to form ring

Rnd 1: Ch 1, work 7 sc in ring and join with sl st in beg ch-1 (8 sc) ch 1 loosely and mark this ch for first sc of nxt rnd.

This next round is what confuses me.. maybe I've picked a project too complicated for me!!

Rnd 2: *Work (sc, hdc, sc,) in back lp of next sc (for corner), sc in back lp of next sc:, rep from * twice more, work (sc, hdc, sc) in back lp of next sc (for last corner) sk next sl st, join with a sl st in beg ch-1.

Ch 1 loosely.

Is that asking me to sc hdc then sc all into the same loop before I move onto the next one? I dont understand :think

Thank you for anyone who can help!

12 answers to this question

I'm stuck and wondered if anyone could translate please?!

I'm okay with this first little bit but I read in another thread sometimes its helpful to post the rnd before :)

Start: Ch 4, join with sl st to form ring

Rnd 1: Ch 1, work 7 sc in ring and join with sl st in beg ch-1 (8 sc) ch 1 loosely and mark this ch for first sc of nxt rnd.

This next round is what confuses me.. maybe I've picked a project too complicated for me!!

Rnd 2: *Work (sc, hdc, sc,) in back lp of next sc (for corner), sc in back lp of next sc:, rep from * twice more, work (sc, hdc, sc) in back lp of next sc (for last corner) sk next sl st, join with a sl st in beg ch-1.

Ch 1 loosely.

Is that asking me to sc hdc then sc all into the same loop before I move onto the next one? I dont understand :think

Thank you for anyone who can help!

That is exactly what it's asking you to do. You need that to go around corners. The stitches between the corners will most likely increase on each round. Have fun!

HEY!

A project twin! I'm currently working on the same exact blanket (an in-the-round square) for my friend's baby who's due in July. Funny how that happened. I got my pattern from the "I Taught Myself to Crochet" booklet called "Baby's First Blanket."

Anyways, I found that when I joined the slip stitch into the back loop only of the beginning chain, the seam didn't stand out as much then if you were to join under both loops of the beg. ch. Hope that helps. Once you get the pattern down, it'll be a cinch to work w/o the pattern until you get to the color switch.

Thats the one, haahaa!! I have til October to make mine though... good job really!!

Actually I'm just not getting this so just came online to find this thread!

I dont understand how I get all these stitches going into the same loop! Am I turning the piece after each step of the 3 step process?

I dont understand how I get all these stitches going into the same loop! Am I turning the piece after each step of the 3 step process?

No, you don't turn after each stitch. All three go into the same loop, one right after the other. It's just like if you were going to do the next stitch in the next loop, but you do it in the same loop instead.

Dreamingintx, making extra stitches into the one loop makes them fan out and gives you a nice curved corner. You need the extra stitches to get round the corner -- otherwise your piece would grow upwards with each round but not outwards, and you'd get a bowl shape instead of a square :eek

:cheerYES, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS.:clap :idea WHEN I FIRST TAUGHT MY SISTER TO CROCHET, AFTER REVIEWING THE BASIC STS, I TOLD HER TO READ THE PATTER FROM COMMA TO COMMA LIKE YOU WOULD A RECIPIE. IT HELPS AND THEN TO JUST TAKE IT SLOW. IF YOU GET FRUSTRATED, GET UP WALK AWAY FOR A GOOD FIVE MINUTES AND THEN COME BACK TO IT.:idea

Archived