Need help with figuring out multiples of stitch patterns - PLEASE!

SusieQ

Question

Hi All:

I have been crocheting for a long time; however, I need some help with how to figure out the multiples in a pattern to be able to make a ripple afghan wider. I usually follow the patterns without any alterations, but I have an afghan that I need to make wider. Do I add the number of stitches from * to * (which is the repeat)? How many more stitches to I add to allow for the chains added at the beginning of a row? :thinkHELP!!!!!

I would REALLY APPRECIATE any help with this. I would like to learn the basics of how you widen a pattern when the instructions do not include the multiples plus... in the pattern.

I have already started and ripped this afghan out three times. I want to get it right this time! I'm so confused!!!

Thank you!

11 answers to this question

Hi there! I think I might be able to help you if you could give me a little bit of info regarding your pattern. How many chains does it have you make to start with, and then how many stitches are in the repeat? My initial thought is that you would probably just add the same number of stitches that are in the repeat, but I haven't thought through that very much :) Let me check with a pattern that I've made wider and get back to you later tonight!

Hi Julie:

Thanks for responding. The pattern is only 42 x 59. I want to make it 6 repeats larger. It says to chain 229. The instructions for row one is as follows:

sc in second ch from hook and in next 9 chs, 3 sc in next ch, sc in next 10 chs, *skip next 2 chs, sc in next 10 chs, 3 sc in next ch, sc in next 10 chs; repeat from *across: 230 sc. Row 2: Ch 1 turn;.....

I'm thinking I would add the number of stitches between the *'s (which is the repeat) and multiply by how many I want to widen it by, and then add 1 for the ch added to turn for row 2. Is this what you would do?

I would appreciate your help. I want to get this afghan started tonight if I can.

Thanks much!

:cheer The simplest way to make a Ripple wider is to just do extra CH.

ie, if the pattern says 150 CH, do 200 CH or whatever you think will make the afghan wide enough.

Now, just work the pattern to the end of the extra CH making sure you end on the right place in the pattern.

If you have CH left over, they can be un-picked back to the end of the work.

I have done this several times and have not had a problem.

Saves a lot of brain power.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

This is the same ripple I use...and I would say you are right about the 24 stitches between the *s. I figure mine by the ripples I want. 24 x 5 (for a baby blanket) which equals 120 chains. I always chain about 20 extra in case I have miscounted. I start with 2sc going through both loops, skip 1 then start up the ripple chain (crocheting through back loop only for body) 3sc in one, go down, skip 2 and start over. I always make mine /\/\/\/\ so start with 2 then skip 1+10+1+10 skip 2= 24 for chains for 1 ripple.

Hope this helps rather than confuses:2spin :blush:U

I've made two ripple afghans eons ago. The first one I crocheted the stated number of chains. Once this afghan was done I felt it was not wide enough. So on the other ripple afghan I just doubled the chains because I couldn't figure out how to enlarge it any other way. So if the pattern called for 229 chains, I chained 558. :eek Needless to say, that afghan was huge and my MIL absolutely loved the size of it. I made this particular afghan 28 years ago and my MIL is still using it. :yay

Colleen, thank you so much for your advice. :hug I"m going to remember from now on to crochet extra chains and then pick out the chains I don't need.

Thanks everybody for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm going to go try your suggestions. Colleen - that's what I was thinking too. I'll give it a try.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it comes out. :)

Ok, I think you would end up chaining 367 if you want to make it 6 repeats wider. So, that means that you would multiply the number of stitches in the repeat (23) by the number of repeats you want to add (6), resulting in an increase of 138 chains. Add that to your original number of chains (229) and you get the number for the wider 'ghan (367).

Hope this isn't too late to help you tonight, and good luck with your 'ghan!

Hi Susie

I'm a bit late chiming in on this, as it sounds like you've got yourself sorted, thanks to Colleen and the other gals :) but just a few observations:

• Yes, you were right about figuring out the number of stitches in the repeat, then multiplying by the number of extra repeats you want. In your pattern, the repeat is 23 sts; you wanted 6 extra repeats, so that would be 138 more sts -- a total of 367 sts to chain! :2eek

If doing the math(s) makes your head hurt. . . Colleen's method is practical and clever :clap. Here are a couple of suggestions along the same lines:

• Make your chain with a separate skein of yarn. When you think you have enough stitches, put a safety pin through the last loop to hold it temporarily. Now use another skein and start working row 1 from the beginning end of the chain. This way you can easily add or remove stitches as necessary.

• Consider using a "chainless foundation", where you work the first row and the chain at the same time. This also has the advantage of being an elastic edge, especially good for a ripple :)

:cheer The simplest way to make a Ripple wider is to just do extra CH.

ie, if the pattern says 150 CH, do 200 CH or whatever you think will make the afghan wide enough.

Now, just work the pattern to the end of the extra CH making sure you end on the right place in the pattern.

If you have CH left over, they can be un-picked back to the end of the work.

I have done this several times and have not had a problem.

Saves a lot of brain power.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Colleen gave me this same advice some time ago and I have used it many times!

Colleen, thank you for saving me countless brain cells!

Make your chain with a separate skein of yarn. When you think you have enough stitches, put a safety pin through the last loop to hold it temporarily. Now use another skein and start working row 1 from the beginning end of the chain. This way you can easily add or remove stitches as necessary.

I never use a separate skein of yarn. I just chain till it's about the length I want, add a few more chains and begin my pattern. The unused portion of the chain is easily frogged back after a few rows are finished.

Thank you all VERY much for all your help. Yes, I did get it sorted out and I stayed up until past midnight last night to get enough done so that I could lay it out on my bed and make sure it was the width I wanted. It is :cheer !!! Finally!!! It only took me about seven tries, but I was determined to get it right, no matter how many times I had to rip it out!

Thanks again everybody. I look forward to "chatting" with you again soon.

Have a great day :yay :yay :yay :yay .

Sue

Archived