Koolaid dyeing - My first go...

TianaKaeSha

We do not have Kool Aid in australia but someone was kind enough to get their US grandma to send some and I eventually got it! :)

Anyways This is the result of my first dye job...

First the knot...

ooops.jpg

Then the ball wound...

easterdreams.jpg

Am making some longies at the moment with it... :D

Nice! I'm just getting ready to post pics of my first dye job as well! Isn't it fun? I am hooked! (no pun intended)

Another excellent dye job! (just posted on yours too, Qmare)

We don't get Koolaid here in NZ either, but I've had some fun using food colour and vinegar or citric acid.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

How did you dye yours? I love all the colors in small segments like you have. And the combination without any muddiness is really pretty.

You just must tell us how you did it!

How did you dye yours? I love all the colors in small segments like you have. And the combination without any muddiness is really pretty.

You just must tell us how you did it!

Well I started with balls unfortunately so I had to make the skein/hank out of them.. I wound it around some board, and then slid it off so I had the yarn flat and doubled over (this is how I got the massive knot too though - if you have skeins it would be sooo much easier!)

I then mixed up my koolaid and poured it down the two sides where the fold was.. that was orange and changing cherry colorus. I used Secret Surprise inthe middle for the merky green colour and massaged the kookaid into the fibres and made the colour spread a bit.. (the skein was also wet to start with!) and then where the small amouts of white were I used a really diluted grape and poured it on... that is the grey/purple you can see...

I used diluted colours as I did not have much koolaid..

I certainly hope this is clearer than mud.

I love the muted colors you got. Nice job!

Hope you post a picture of what you make with the yarn.

Joan (who has lots of kool-aid in her cupboard waiting for warm weather to dye outside)

so you didn't dunk the yarn? You just poured the color over it and worked it with your fingers? I can't believe that it came out that clean and even. It's gorgeous!

Can you wash this yarn later or does the color bleed?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work!

Hey, if you ever need some more Kool-Aid, just holler at me. I live in Sydney too and I bought heaps on my trip to the US last year, specifically for dyeing.

Doesn't it smell great too?

~Bec:clap

Archived