To Bead or Not to Bead

Lavelle26

Hi,

I have been designing baby dresses in thread crochet. I also recently learned now to bead crochet. I was thinking it would be gorgeous to add beaded crochet to my dresses for babies but my mother thought it might be a hazard to have beads since the babies could pull them off and choke. I didn't think so because they aren't sewn on, they are actually crocheted in with the thread.

What do you all think? Should I design something with beads in it or save that for adult items?

I love adding beads to my crochet, but I wouldn't for babies! Too risky. I do beaded chemo caps for older kids, but for baby stuff I'm afraid to even use buttons.

I am a lover of bead as you well know. But I do not think beads are appropriate for a baby item. I personally would not use them in that manner, For the reasons your mother has stated. They pose a potential hazard, why take that risk.

• 1 month later...

Hi i think the answer to your question is no... personally i would not add beads to a baies outfit as they could pull themm off and put them into their mouths and choke and you would not wasnt thast would oyu sorry for being blunt...... sue xxx

I'd be very careful (as the other posters mentioned) but if the beads were put on a newborn dress that the baby would grow out of before any time at all, would it hurt anything? They can't pull them off at that age. Besides, I crochet with beads a lot (small ones, I think they're size 8/0 beads...glass rocaille) and they don't come off easy at all.

Just my two cents...

Thanks Rachel. Yes I was thinking more along the lines of a special occaision dress like a Christening dress or something that only gets worn once.

Archived