Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

Just got home from another looooong day at work and thought that I would check in and see how everyone is progressing on their afghans. I hope to get more done on mine tonight. Mary -- :welcome It is so good to have you join our group.:cheer:clap Your afghan turned out beautiful:manyheart . Hope you stay with us and I am looking forward to seeing your next afghan. How long did it take you to make that one?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Evening everyone,

I swear it takes me a long time to catch up on the forum before I can reply to any. I love reading what everyone has typed and learning from what ive read.

Julie, i know what you mean about the squares. I dont have quite 500 but there is enough of them.

Brandy, wish someone warned me about weaving in the ends before hand I just today got smart ( 60 squares later):lol

Mary, welcome to the group and your afghan is beautiful.

Hope everyone has a great night.Gonna try to get the web cam up so i can take pics of what i've gotten accomplished so far.

How long did it take you to make that one?

Uhhhhhhhhh... maybe like six months or so because that afghan was uberly boring and I couldn't get into it. My mom thinx I am a loser for using that excuse!!! J/K!!! Tah-Tah 4 now:hook

I found a quilt pattern today that I want to convert into a crochet pattern. Now, I can't wait to get done with the fan afghan to get started on this. I think this will be really pretty. Its called Shooting squares. Don't know what colors yet. Maybe a combination of purples with winter white. Have to think about it. Hope everyone is still around here on this CAL when I get started with this one!

:clap

Lynn

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Julie, you are toooo funny! Well, I know I'll have some company!

Lynn

Lynn,

I to have been scouting the quilt pattern page julie put up on the first page of this thread trying to draw ones that I can convert to crochet. Although my nine patch isnt getting anything done with it while im drawing but oh well, I'll work on that later lol.

Julie,

I'm sorry that you have so many squares to put together I know you can do it. Just keep saying "I know I can , I know I can" I bet it will be done within the next day.:cheer

Huh ????

What was that screaming just awhile ago. :coffee

I FINALLY have one perfect square. Been completely mystified and why the stitches were off each time I joined and went up a step. I'm now pleased to announce I have ONE perfect square.

It's the orange one stuck up higher on the back of my Lazy Boy.:bow

Now..just in case you folks wonder if I'm yakking more than crocheting.. here are my failed attempts.. which we now label as color samples. :rofl

Let's see if I can manage posting a photo...Kewl ! I did it.. :jumpyay

trialsquares.jpg

Huh ????

What was that screaming just awhile ago. :coffee

I FINALLY have one perfect square. Been completely mystified and why the stitches were off each time I joined and went up a step. I'm now pleased to announce I have ONE perfect square.

It's the orange one stuck up higher on the back of my Lazy Boy.:bow

Now..just in case you folks wonder if I'm yakking more than crocheting.. here are my failed attempts.. which we now label as color samples. :rofl

Let's see if I can manage posting a photo...Kewl ! I did it.. :jumpyay

trialsquares.jpg

Oh you could so make a beautiful quilt out of those.....I love em....:cheer

Holy cow! :mcow I go away for a day and a half and look what happens!

AJ, your afghan came out BEAUTIFULLY! :clap I'm sorry you didn't get the response you deserved. Some people just don't get it.

Mary, welcome! I love your 'ghan. CityGuy has been wanting a plaid afghan...you have me looking for that book.

Lynn, I will definitely still be here with you and Julie! My yarn isn't scheduled to arrive until tomorrow, and I'm working a SC rippleghan :eek along with my Prairie Star, so we can be in on this together. :hook

I know everybody else here seems to choose much more classic colors...but remember.. I live in the state of RAIN. Our weather forecasts consist of what TYPES of rain we will have each two hours, each day, and each week. :2rain

I need color !!!!

Although.. my original plan was the Mothers afghan.. which I will still do.. but later.. if the West Coast ever gets any raspberry colored yarns. That could be a light project during the summer showers. ;)

Julie.. You had asked about my shopping trip for the original yarn.. here's what I ended up with. Note: no raspberry colored yarn. :(

-Pam L- who figured out photo's today.

Weird.. that was a beautiful, clear picture before I shrunk it down. Oh well,:think

shopping4MomsAfghan.jpg

Pam have you every considered checking on ebay for yarn. I buy some great stuff from there and just recently purchased my yellow yarn from ebay. It may be an idea worth checking out..... :hook Love the pattern books. Which ones are they????:think

Is it OK if I weave both thread ends on each square right as I finish it, and before I set it in my empty :( basket ?:think

-Pam L-

i :nworthy to anyone with the discipline to weave in the ends as you go. i'm trying to do that this time around. i didn't do it on my GFG lapghan and i got real tired of weaving them all in before i could start joining.

:hook Hello my darlingest mummzie said i was supposed to stop in and say hi:hi. My mom is Brandy(rosette). :ty Thank you for all the nice compliments on my afghan. Just to prewarn you, I am a little bit devilish:devil . Got to go for now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:welcome Mary. you sound like alot of fun. can't wait to see what you make next.:hook

Hope everyone is still around here on this CAL when I get started with this one!

:clap

Lynn

ohhh, i'll still be here. i'm sure of that. no faster than i'm going, it's gonna take me all summer. and julie will probably still be making saltines.:lol or she'll be on her 9th 'ghan. she's a CRAZY crocheter:dance

i :nworthy to anyone with the discipline to weave in the ends as you go. I'm trying to do that this time around. i didn't do it on my GFG lapghan and i got real tired of weaving them all in before i could start joining.

Hee-heee Dazy,

I'm at the very most beginning of my crochet life.. and after reading so many blogs saying such and such a quilt is all done but the weaving in..and it's been months and months ... Then others here in this thread whining about it.. I got to thinking .. maybe if it's OK to do..then I need to teach myself to do it automaticly..while the item is still in my hand.

If I'm successful.. I know myself.. it will bug me if one gets set down not done. You know.. that feeling like waiting for the other shoe to drop..and you can't stop feeling it ?

With any luck.. and comments from others here.. maybe I will teach myself this fine art. :hook

-Pam L- old enough to know my habits ..and how disastrous such things become out of check. So I try to trick myself. :lol

Pam have you every considered checking on ebay for yarn. I buy some great stuff from there and just recently purchased my yellow yarn from ebay. It may be an idea worth checking out..... :hook Love the pattern books. Which ones are they????:think

Hi again Brandy,

Like I need another way to spend money on this ? :ebay

The stores are so plentiful here.. and their shelves have been getting emptier and emptier.. now some things here and there on those shelves are marked 'clearance'. I have the feeling they will soon be receiving lots of NEW colors.. more warm weather colors and fitting in with what I see in the fashion magazines ?? That's my hope anyway.

The books were all with the 50% off coupons.. and books are one of the only items they can't mark up too high to start with.. so THEY are a steal. Though my yarn purchases make up for in in volum..so the stores still OK.

The books are:

New "Crochet" magazine.. has several top and sweater patterns that look wearable . Enough choices one could use a couple patterns and come up with a really great top.

It also has a couple afghans.. One you may want Julie... it has a border and strips of saltines.. but the rest is solid.:neener

"Encyclopedia of Crochet".

I noticed the Crochet Dude has it listed as his favorite book !

I love it. BIG book.. large enough print I can work and glance up without loosing my place. The pictures of examples are very clear. Some nice patterns, and a great reference of skills and stitches that I will not out grow anytime soon.

Oh.. and all the patterns and the pattern/stitch gallery have those great little graphics with each stitch shown as a symbol. Those are so much easier for me to understand. Wish it was a law.. they should be in all the books and mags.

"The Crocheters Garden of Afghans"

Here's the trouble.. I want to make all of them.:badidea

Well.. here we go...this post will put me as an official member of the village. And it's this threads fault. I was so sweet and quiet since last December.:angel

-Pam L- who needs to decide on my avatar !:cheer

Just testing to see if those of you on the West Coast can hear me screaming ?

Holey Moses, would you ladies do me a favor and kick my butt all over the country if I EVER mention doing something again that has squares the size of postage stamps ?

Good grief --- try sewing together almost 500 of these little idiots.

I am gonna blow a blood vessel .

:2nono:bang:yell:grumpy:tryme:sigh:thair:irk:rant :grump :box

I was thinking about making this afghan., but I don't think so now.

I hate sewing square together. It drives me nuts.

:welcome mary, its nice to see young teenagers crocheting.

my daughters also crochet. they stick to simple things, like crocheting

fun fur on flip flops, my girls are 14 and 12.

Morning gang --

For those of you looking at the time of my post, I am behind my usual schedule. I have been up since 4:30, but didnt come up til just now to read thru the messages . Thanks for all the backup support. I'll get this thing together , I know I will... I think it's the SIZE of all these little things that is such a challenge .

I actually do have it TOGETHER, you might say . It is now all in one piece . The way I do my joining is to lay all the squares out and slip stitch them all together in rows in one direction -- like all the horizontal rows, then I have to go back like a checkerboard and go vertically on the rows . So, you actually CAN pick it up now all in one piece . I'm in the home stretch, but it still seems like I have about 7 miles to run ! I'll get it done though .SOON .

Pam -what is the green color you have there in the middle of your yarn ? It looks different than any I've ever seen . Is it glittery -type yarn ? PRETTY .

Note- I always pay attention to the greens first ... I love green - ANY shade .

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to pop in :lurk and introduce myself and join your CAL. This one is right up my alley- I'm a quilter also and there are so many beautiful patterns out there. It's going to be a challenge to turn a few favorites into crochet afghans.

The hardest part was picking my first pattern. I decided on a Grandmothers Flower Garden for my nieces bed. Imagine my surprise to find out that there's also a CAL just for that afghan! :eek I'll need both CAL groups to keep me on track... I have a habit of creating UFO's! :lol

I'm Janine BTW- forgot to mention that! LOL. I'm 35 and I live in Central NJ with my DH and my beautiful 5 mo old baby boy. I've been crocheting since I was 6 and have been reading and following patterns since I was 26- I'm getting better at it! LOL

I'm looking forward to chatting and "hooking" :hook with you all-

-Janine

:welcome

Glad to have another new person in the group . You can join in on both groups or just one, it doesn't really matter since they are both covered in these CALs .

Congrats on your new baby boy-- he sounds precious. I love babies . :c9

It sounds like you have some crochet and quilt experience, so this should be a great place for you ~

What colors are you going to use for your flower garden , do you know yet ?

I'm sure the others will jump in and welcome you too. This is a friendly group !

:sunGood Morning all. I must confess that I have been a bad girl :( . I have not worked on my quiltghan. I have been too busy playing on here and helping my daughter get her blog page up and going. :hook I will get to crochet today seeing how I have to go to work for the :bang . She has a hair appointment and I will get some done during that time. Course this may mean that I will end up coming home in a bad mood. :tryme:rant I dont know what has gotten into her lately. Oh well. Well I will check in later (seeing as how I cant stay away from here).. This can be addicting....:devil WEll have a great one all.:manyheart

:welcomeJanine. I cant wait to see what colors you will be using and your progress. I miss having babies around....:c9 My two teens are always trying to beat each other up these days....:box But my daughter shares in my past times so there are those moments :hug . I think she may start another afghan when she completes her purse.

Great to have you join us....:cheer

Hi Janine and Mary :welcome the rest of the group is a lively crew, I'm mostly a lurker who has all but finished my afghan but can't seem to find the time to sew the squares together.:blush

AJ your afghan was beautiful...it might have to be my next baby blanket...that is after the 2 of three left to do that I've already planned and need to finish.

Archived