Pattern Converter

croschet03

Question

8 answers to this question

There is this booklet.

I do not have it nor have I seen it to look through it so I don't know if it's any good. I just have the link.

There's a book at Amazon that came up in a search of "knit to crochet". The people who wrote reviews did not like it, however.

There are also tips at Ehow.

Hope that helps.

There's a book at Amazon that came up in a search of "knit to crochet". The people who wrote reviews did not like it, however.

I have a couple of these books From Needles to Hook and From Knit to Crochet. The reviewers are right when they say that the books don't really explain how to do actual conversions from knitting patterns to crochet patterns. They basically compare stitch patterns. Ie. This knit stitch pattern is similar to that crochet stitch pattern.

The thing is, knitting and crocheting are not the same. You can't really take one and just convert it to the other. You can try to make something similar by carefully choosing the stitch pattern and then trying to get the proper gauge.

I enjoy both but they are different crafts.

The thing is, knitting and crocheting are not the same. You can't really take one and just convert it to the other. You can try to make something similar by carefully choosing the stitch pattern and then trying to get the proper gauge.

I enjoy both but they are different crafts.

I agree. Why convert a pattern? Why not just find a crochet pattern you like that looks similar or is the same type of product? I've never really seen a knitting pattern that I HAD to have to the point where I'd go to the trouble of trying to convert it. You could use the same colors and come up with a similar object. But if you WANT to convert a pattern, those tools are available to assist.

As was said, they are different crafts. Knitting is more stretchy IMHO and doesn't work up the same as crochet. Even if you match the stitches to a similar crochet stitch it will not look or feel exactly the same because well, it's not.

What I do is to sketch out the shape of the finished item. Then I plan out how to crochet pieces that would fill up those shapes. It helps that crochet is so adaptable. Good luck! :hug

Archived