Help and Opinion needed

crochetfun

Question

I am working on a laceweight(?) shawl for my daughter for a formal event next week. (Rowan Kidsilk Haze) The yarn is beautiful, I am using a largish (5.5mm) hook, and working the shawl in the Delta Stitch. It will be triangular, similar to the Celebrity shawl but since the yarn is so fine it won't be as open.

(here is the one I did a while ago in Amore: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8395)

Now the question is: to fringe or not to fringe? To bead the fringes or not to bead? I'll need some sort of finishing touch.

I have no idea how this yarn would behave as a fringe.

I suspect beads would pull on it too much.

Please help. I have to get it ready by Sunday.

Thank you in advance.

6 answers to this question

I am working on a laceweight(?) shawl for my daughter for a formal event next week. (Rowan Kidsilk Haze) The yarn is beautiful, I am using a largish (5.5mm) hook, and working the shawl in the Delta Stitch. It will be triangular, similar to the Celebrity shawl but since the yarn is so fine it won't be as open.

(here is the one I did a while ago in Amore: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8395)

Now the question is: to fringe or not to fringe? To bead the fringes or not to bead? I'll need some sort of finishing touch.

I have no idea how this yarn would behave as a fringe.

I suspect beads would pull on it too much.

Please help. I have to get it ready by Sunday.

Thank you in advance.

I think I would bead...looks dressier than fringe.

charkitty

:cheer A very light weight shawl will not hang as nice with a beaded fringe and you might find that your daughter spends all evening picking it up off the floor.

A normal fringe, not too long or thick, would look lovely, if the yarn is strong enough, otherwise, a nice wide scallop edging would be the next best.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

that yarn is like a cobweb.. and delicate in looks.. i wouldnt bead it .. it will drag the shawl down too much.. ecen the smallest beads would add too much weight.. or wouldnt show..

i suggest fringing wtih a silk ribbon.. it wil be dressy and very light weight..

Thanks so much - that never occurred to me:)

I hope I can find that on short notice...

Beading is definitely out, the entire shawl won't weigh more than a few ounces...

I have no advice...I just wanted to say how beautiful the one you'd already done is! And I really like threeolivemartini's suggestion of a silk ribbon fringe. It would dress it up a bit w/o pulling on your design. Can't wait to see pics!

Archived