Gifting an Afghan - How to Package for Storage

xantha

Question

This is a bit of a weird question and it's not specifically crochet related, but since many of you make afghans and gift them, I thought you were the perfect people to ask:

A friend of mine and I just made an afghan for a mutual friend as a wedding gift. I would like to give it to our friend in a nice box that will work as a storage box if they do not want to display it. Any suggestions for something appropriate? I am leaning towards one of those canvas zipped boxes like these from Garnet Hill but am open to anything (including other places to get canvas zipped soft boxes).

Thanks from the afghan newbie! :)

[i have never been able to finish one before!]

7 answers to this question

Your storage box is very nice and I almost would say go for it.

However I live in the land of mold, moths, and bugs not to mention having lived in dust land. So my advice is to get one of these:

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/sr=1-1/qid=1142003171/ref=sr_1_1/602-5799923-7673413?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=13825601

Not as pretty, I know but far more practical. That's just me though. I'm sure most everyone else will say get yours. :lol

Well, I know it isn't attractive but I love those space bags. I have a couple afghans that I don't display regularly as I don't have enough room so those I put in the space bags. It keeps out dust, bugs, air and anything else. Maybe give it to her in a nice storage box with a space bag in it?

My Best Friend and I both stored our wedding dresses in them. It's a lot cheaper than having them professionally done and they won't yellow or anything as no air can get to them...

Just a suggestion...

When I gift an afghan, I just give them the afghan.

Most everyone displays their afghan on the couch or on their bed.

Don't worry about what they are going to do with it.

I would but this is more than an afghan, it's an afghan with a quilted back (quil-ghan), so it's a bit bulky and more like a comforter. This also makes it more difficult to wash, so I would not be surprised if they store it for a while. :)

I also am not sure how it will fit into their house decoration since I have not seen her almost-husband's house! I just want to give them options. :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Well, I know it isn't attractive but I love those space bags. I have a couple afghans that I don't display regularly as I don't have enough room so those I put in the space bags.

Thanks, Donna! I might just do a space bag inside some sort of a canvas zipped bag. :)

Hey Jess - I work at a dry cleaners that specializes in preserving wedding gowns and other heirloom items... and the same principles apply to storing any fiber item...

First, you want to make sure the item is washed in a pH neutral detergent, no bleach, and rinsed really well... After it's dry, fold it loosely with layers of acid-free tissue paper, so air can circulate freely... Finally, enclose it a zippered muslin or cotton bag - not plastic and not a heavy fabric, because you want it to "breathe;" air movement's important. Store in a dry, temp controlled area - under the bed or in a closet, not the attic or basement.

Otherwise, you can end up with discoloration, deterioration, and mold issues. Ick!

Hope that helps!

ETA: These bags are very similar to the ones we use at my work...

Archived