Your opinions on these threads, if you would, please?

Gran

I havent used the German flora, Where are you finding that thread???

But I love DMC Cordonnet, That is their top of the line 6 cord. Unfortunately the color selection is normal white or ecru.....But as far a quality this is my favorite thread.

I have only used the manuela one time. I thought it was a good thread. I just haven't found a good supplier of it.

I use the Flora thread from Lacis all the time as I can get a fair color selection in the size 50 thread for my purses. I find it to to be a decent thread, but not as good as DMC cordonnet.

If you find a source for the Manuela thread let me know. I didn't mind that thread one bit. Wish I had bought more.

The aforementioned website belongs to The Yarn Yard II, in Hutchinson, KS, which also sells Manuela thread. Here's another: www.lonestaryarns.com/manuela.html

I would like to compare the German to the Hungarian Flora.

Also has anyone used Japanese or Turkish thread?

http://members.aol.com/catchpin/home.html has some threads which seem attractive.

Lonestar is where I originally got the manuela but they have discontinued that line. Thanks for the other link though. I will have to order some and some of the german flora and give it a try.

Oh, oh oh I am like a kid in a candy store :jumpyay what to buy, :woowhat to buy, :hook

I just looked at the Lacis catalogue again and the color chart for the Cordonnet Flora says "German Flora". So, who knows what I'm getting.

There were a few other online sources listed on the search I did for "Manuela, German Flora, crochet thread" but I'm getting tired of web searching today.

The Catchpin list looks quite good.

This site lists some more sources:

http://www.geocities.com/tatrasutra/threads.html

and www.handyhandstatting.com carries Manuela and other nice threads.

Hmmm...I am not surprised to see that Kathy is the only one to respond so far! I have used these threads, so here's my :2c two cents :D!

German Flora

I find this thread to be similar to both Manuela and Optima brands. My hometown LYS carries this. It is more glossy than Optima. Has a delicate feel.

DMC Cordonnet

It has a high sheen to it, and feels more delicate. I have a ton of it and haven't used it yet. Looking for that special project.

Manuela

As my mother puts it, Manuela was supposed to be the substitute for Optima. She carries some in her LYS. However, I don't think that the Manuela is the same as the Optima. The Manuela has more gloss and is made differently.

My hometown LYS, Yarn N' Things, carries the Flora and Cordonnet, and I believe my mom's shop, Evie's Yarn Emporium, has all three. So that's where I get mine from.

I recently saw some Finca thread at a different LYS, and thought it was ok. It is shiny, but I didn't care for the feel of it---it felt similar to other shinier threads. My recent find and love is Steinbach Wolle. It comes in 600 yard balls and is so soft and dreamy! Little sheen to it, but it keeps its softness even after being worked up.

~ Lori

I have crocheted with the DMC cordonnet, Floras and Manuelas, and liked them all. SnowGoose provided the Manuela, but I think it is being discontinued. So are the colored Floras, alas. Lacis still has a supply of the discontinued colored DMC cordonnet. Handy Hands makes a size 50 colored thread, but I like the Flora better. I use mostly Cebelia, because it is a great thread and comes in size30, colored.

I also have a stash of Altin Basak 50 thread. It's comparable to a size 30, and the range of colors is fantastic. It's not as easy to work with as the Cebelia, but not unpleasant or difficult, and, again, the colors are fantastic. Alas, I cannot find a US seller.

• 3 weeks later...

Also has anyone used Japanese or Turkish thread?

I've used the Turkish thread Altin Basak size 50 which is our size 30. I really like it and what I love about it, is that the selection of variegated colors and ohhhhhhh all the colors are so vibrant. I just finished this doily last week and the rose was done using Altin Basak.

Square Rose

I just wish the finer threads were readily available in the stores so you can see the actual color. Altin Basak thread is the only thread that I've bought online that I haven't been disappointed with the colors.

HTH

Pam

Lakota, that's a really lovely doily. Thanks for posting it. I just received my Handy Hands Tatting catalogue in the mail and all the colors of all the threads they carry seem to be in the catalogue. Don't know how true the photographs are, but still, it's helpful. Lacis sells a thread card with a lot (or all?) of the threads they sell. There are such huge differences in thread, it's really helpful to read of what others think of them.

Archived