How about ebay?

I have never gotten the ebay bug.. But yesterday I did make a bid on some yarn. Well can you all give me any advise on buying yarn on ebay or what have been your experiences with yarn purchased on ebay??? I know I can be good and not over do on ebay lol it is just going into a store and buying yarn I have problems with... Well so far anyway lol.....I also know to include s/h and tax to my bid as all part of the value..

Thank you

You can click the sellers name or on the listing is a box and it should say something about feed back! Be very careful with yarn on ebay I have seen overpricing and shipping is outrageous sometimes just Know your prices is all I can say. I have gotten good deals but again Know your prices!!!!

Go to the page with the auction you're bidding on and on the right hand side it will say the user name of the seller and there will be a numer to the right of it. Click on that and it will show you all the feedback for that seller.

Also, IMO if there's something I really really want, I wait until the last 5 mins or so of the auction before bidding as it gives competitors who aren't near their computers at that time less of an advantage to rebid and win the item.

Also, IMO I always pay for insurance as there are some nasty people out there! GOOD LUCK!

I have had very good experiences and have gotten some excellent prices on Ebay. I have bought a LOT of yarn that way. It really depends on what you are trying to get; if it's just ww acrylic, Walmart, JoAnn's, Michael's, etc. have better deals but if it's hand dyed Merino wool or Sari silk or alpaca, then the deals are great at Ebay. I have also bought some wonderful hand spun, hand dyed wool from the artist who makes it through Ebay.

As always, buyer beware. Check their feedback as Donna instructed and know your prices.

Thank you Quiltymare

I know how to check out about the seller ... I was just wondering if many here buy yarn through ebay and what type of experience they have had. I have been buying yarn and crocheting for years just have never bought through ebay. Just wanted to know if any of those crocheting at Crochetville thought that ebay was a good way to buy some yarn??:think

:)

When you said check feedback I thought you were referring to something here on Crochetville... Sorry

I Know how to check the seller on ebay and the background etc. I have a friend who sells on ebay but she doesn't do yarn..

Oh, another good suggestion is to always look at the shipping costs! Sometimes a seller will have an item for sale for a starting bid of one penny but the S&H is over $49! They get you if you aren't careful!

My advice as fas as buying yarn on ebay - know what you're buying so you won't be disappointed when you get it. Know that different cameras and monitors show the same color differently. Know what different yarny type terms are, like nubbly, boucle, thick and thin, etc. Know the different ways weight can be referred to - you don't want to buy a 2400ypp yarn and expect to get a worsted weight yarn. Being armed with some knowledge will really help you get the good deals on yarn you'll actually use.

Thank You Natalie

I do know the different yarn terms and am looking at brand name yarns that I am familiar with, so I know what they usually cost in stores. Thank you for your suggestions.

:manyheart

I do a lot of buying on eBay, and the others are right: check feedback, and watch S & H costs.

I generally will buy specialty yarns on eBay if I can get a better price or if theyr'e not available locally (which is pretty sad, because I live in Los Angeles near one of the largest ports in the world... but whatever). Make sure you can get enough of what you need for the intended project... or if you're collecting for an as-yet unidentified project, buy what you think you'll need - 500 yards came up in another thread about how much to buy when you just like the yarn but don't know what to do with it.

One thing I love about buying yarn on eBay is being able to support 'mom & pop' type sellers who have amazing specialty yarns, hand dyed, etc., and also buying yarns from other countries - I got the most beautiful textured yarn from Turkey...

Have fun:hook

Thank You Paulette

Hey lady

Lol I also live in part of Los Angeles Calif... I live in the norhern part of the San Fernando Valley....

I think you said hello to me on my first day here! You commented on how warm the weather had been! I'm in the South Bay area - very close to LAX - and it sure isn't too warm today... glad I finished that nice thick wrap I was making:c9

It amazes me how many yarn shops we don't have:scrachin. I love buying from eBay, 'cause I'm usually tired by the end of the work day, and it's always fun to have a 'present' in the mail when I get home! I just ordered the Stitch & Bitch Crochet from eBay, 'cause I CAN'T find it anywhere around here! Boy, I'll be excited when that arrives!:cheer

Paulette

I live about 40 miles north of you.. which as you know could be 1 hour to 3 hours depending on freeway traffic. A lot of the yarn shops have gone out of business with stores like Michaels, Joann Fabric or Beverly's but there are some here in my parts. Think we have a Happy Hooker yarn shop not far, I haven't been there.

Yes I had said hello to you before.... :)

No not warm today it was very cold and cloudy we get a lot of wind where I am , very close to the mountains. (They hang glide off the mountains near where I live. ) And then we got rain late this afternoon...Just hope we don't get the rain we had last year....:rain

Well at least we don't have all the snow they have back east.

Paulette

I live about 40 miles north of you.. which as you know could be 1 hour to 3 hours depending on freeway traffic. A lot of the yarn shops have gone out of business with stores like Michaels, Joann Fabric or Beverly's but there are some here in my parts. Think we have a Happy Hooker yarn shop not far, I haven't been there.

Yes I had said hello to you before.... :)

No not warm today it was very cold and cloudy we get a lot of wind where I am , very close to the mountains. (They hang glide off the mountains near where I live. ) And then we got rain late this afternoon...Just hope we don't get the rain we had last year....:rain

Well at least we don't have all the snow they have back east.

Yeah, down here I get to choose from Michael's and Joann Fabrics which has a lot more fabric than yarn... there's a Walmart not too far, but I'd love a shop that had just walls of beautiful specialty yarns... just to be in their presence is heaven:c9 .

We got the rain this afternoon, too... where the heck did that come from?:think totally unexpected.

You know, got thinking and I bet there are some froo-froo yarn shops on the Westside... probably pay a bundle, but, ahhhhhhh:2spin

Archived