Two Color Granny Squares

Madame Margaret

Question

One of my longest-lasting WIPs is a granny square afghan. The hundreds of one color squares flew off my hook, but the two color squares are a nightmare.

The squares are two colors on the diagonal so it appears to be two triangles. I have been cutting the yarn at the end of each half-round and starting the new color and finish off. Then I start the second round with color one and snip and then finish with color two.

With all of those yarn ends and only a two round square it actually takes me longer to weave in the ends than to crochet the square!:thair

Is this the proper way of doing a two color square or do most crocheters carry the yarn in the back while working the other color?

I cannot imagine creating any kind of quilt-type afghan which calls for a lot of this type of square. I think I'm going nuts now, that would send me to the funny farm (with my crochet hook, of course).

10 answers to this question

If the square is half one colour and half the other, there is really no way to do it other than by cutting the thread because when you get back to where you need to use the colour on the next row, it will be in the wrong place. You will need to do the squares by turning at the end of each round, then you can leave the colour hanging and just pick it up and gently pull it up to where you need to use it again, on the last movement of the last stitch, just before you SS to the start. Always making sure you carry the colours up on the wrong side of the work.

The other thing you could do is make half squares in the two colours and hook them together as you go. Sort of like you would do if joining a lot of motifs to make a table cloth.

I will give it a go and see if it is easy to do.

Watch this space.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I forgot to ask exactly what stitch you are doing for your Afghan.

I tied out a simple Granny square in two colours, doing rounds and turnung, carrying the yarn up and it does not look good because the yarn will show when you carry it up through the other colour.

I tried making a half square triangle then working the second colour from the centre and that was not very successful either.

The only way that it will look OK is to make the two triangles and stitch them together. This has its pitfalls too but will look the best.

What does your pattern say to do?

Sorry I was not more help.

Colleen :hug

Hi, I have made heaps of afghans using 'two color' squares. I do not cut the yarn, I turn the square and work back the other way. I don't have any problems with the carried yarn showing, if I could work out how to add a picture, I would show you some photos.

The way you are doing your squares is exactly the same I have done mine. I wish you luck with your afghan. I have made five of the quilt type afghans. They are very tedious. Last Christmas I made one that looked like Santa. I told my husband to have me committed to the funny farm if I ever stat one of these afghans again.:eek

I wrote instructions for making two color granny squares if anybody wants a copy, e-mail me crochetqueen1@verizon.net I don't know how to attach a file on C-ville. Here's pics of a couple things I've made with one and two color squares. The possibilities are endless! Use graph paper and make any drawing you want, then make your squares following the graph. This blanket of my grand-daughter was published in Dec. 2005 issue of "Country Afghans" magazine. I was thrilled!!:c9 This isn't a very good pic, sorry - it's a picture of a picture!!

SarahKpicblanket.jpgBlanketall4dogs.jpg

My 4 dogs, a Jack Russell, a terrier mix, a weenie dog, and a Pom. You can make just about any pic you want. I didn't mean to steal your thunder, Madame Margaret, I'm just anxious to share. Hope you'll forgive me. :blush I do my two color squares like aussiecrocheter, except I do cut mine & tie knots securely. These blankets are 3 round squares. I also made a sweater with 1 round squares for the front picture & 2 rounds for the back, and it was very tedious! Wouldn't want to do that again! But I like the way it turned out. You can tell it's supposed to be a dog, right? Again, I apologize if this is rude to post my pics on someone else's thread.

Sweaterfront.jpgSweaterback.jpg

I would love to share my written instructions with anyone who wants them. :hug

I would turn after each round intead of going around and around. That way the yarn is right where you need it and you don't have to cut.

Or you could do each color separately in half grannies, but that means more sewing.:( Here's how if you don't know: http://www.geocities.com/riverglorious/Patterns/halfgrannysquare.html

No suggestions, but I feel your pain. I just completed my half and half squares for an afghan and like you, I'm spending more time weaving than crocheting! Never, NEVER again (until I fall in love with another one!)

SHELLEDON Those are so cute! I love the one with the dogs....but the one with the little girl is awsome!! Great work.:hook

Thanks! I figure it'll be a neat heirloom for her when she's grown - to remember her childhood. :hook Now I need to make the other grandkids one!! YIKES! :eek

Archived