Small crochet group

I just had to let someone know how excited I am! I am working on starting a crochet group in my church. So far I have three people that have signed up. I am offering a learn how to crochet class. The thing is I have not really taught anyone how to crochet before. I am pretty well skilled in crochet, but I could use some pointers in the best way to start. The only charge is for supplies. I am looking for a good first project. I would also like to know what is the best hook size to start with? I don't remember what I used it was too many years ago. Any help would be great. Thanks

What a great idea to offer to teach people a well as forming a group! I was not taught to crochet, I just kinda picked up a pre-packaged kit that had the yarn and instructions and it made sense so I've been 'hooking' ever since! Now, I have taught just my kids and a few adults to crochet, never in a 'formal' setting, but here's some things I've learned.

Keep the first project fairly small, like a scarf, so the student can have the satisfaction of completing something within the millenium

Start with a larger hook size because bigger hooks make bigger stitches, thereby enabling the student to 'see' where to put the hook... of course you 'cover more ground' again allowing quicker finishing on that all-important first project.

Use a 'simple' yarn on the first project. Though the student may be awed (as we all are) by the beautiful specialty yarns out there, they can be very difficult to learn with ~ this is from experience in teaching adult step-daughter ~ so choose a basic yarn that doesn't have hairs or fluff balls or anything else on it so the basic form of the stitches will be visible.

Try to incorporate several basic stitches into that first project. I scarf or blankie of only single crochet, while lovely, can get a bit tedious, and also they would only be learning one stitch. Perhaps five rows of single crochet, five rows of double, five rows of single, five rows of triple, five rows of half double, etc., and maybe even some shells on the edge, or loop fringe - something fun where they can say "I made that!!!!"

Good luck!!!:cheer

I re-learned how to crochet as a member of a small church group. Our instructor (the church accountant) had us bring an I hook and some cotton yarn, like Sugar n' Creme, and she did it for free. She taught us how to make sc dishcloths and dc dishtowels. She was able to help each student "where they were," meaning that some were still getting comfortable with chaining while others had moved on to sc. Good luck with your efforts...I think you'll have fun.

I also learned crochet by making dishcloths and I still enjoy making them! You can do lots of different stiches too on the same washcloth and even show how to do edging. It's a great first project and easy to see their results in a short amt of time. I agree about the bigger hook-like H or I

I never taught crochet either but had a friend over who wanted to learn. She just watched me and I explained as I went. I also showed her a few illustrations in a book and off she went w/ her first washie :)

Good luck

Ann

An article on crochet me has some tips of things to get anyone started crocheting.

I'm planning on doing another workshop for the kids in my homeschool group again. I am going to make up swatches ahead of time so I can show them how to add yarn and change colors.

Good Luck. I really enjoy sharing crochet with others.

Samantha

Just to add to everyone else's comments...I began crocheting last November and the thing that frustrated me the most was the stitch count and turning chain thing. You know the ever widening (or narrowing in my case!) scarf?

So I agree with the ideas of a scarf or dishcloth utilizing stitches of differing heights.

I keep my first project really small, so they can complete it in the course of the class. They do take it home as homework. I also have a couple of different levels of projects, so those who pick it up quickly can take on something new.

I like the idea of using the 100% cotton and making wash cloths. I also pick up the yarn and hooks for my classes - and the students reimburse me. I think it's easier to see the stitches in lighter yarns, and don't want anyone showing up with a varigated or fuzzy yarn to try to learn on.

I like the idea of using the 100% cotton and making wash cloths. I also pick up the yarn and hooks for my classes - and the students reimburse me. I think it's easier to see the stitches in lighter yarns, and don't want anyone showing up with a varigated or fuzzy yarn to try to learn on.

So much easier!! This is what I was going to suggest - pick light colored yarns, it's much more simple to see how the loops work and stitches are formed than in dark.

Right on, Natalie and Tamara. I should've thought to mention that myself, since we had to buy our own stuff to bring to class, and all had a good laugh at the first class. One gal showed up with crochet thread, because it was the only thing she could find that said "cotton," and an afghan hook, because she wanted to make an afghan. All I could find was Bernat Cotton Tots...very confusing to me since I knew nada about yarn at that point.

So, um, yeah, buy the stuff for your students and let them reimburse you - a lot less embarrassing for those who are completely new to fiber arts.

Archived