Is it a yarn thickness thing? hook thing?

NeedSleep

Question

So I'm just learnign and finishing up a stuffed animal. In order to get it tight enough so that you couldn't see the stuffing, I ended up having to use an E (3.5mm) hook. It turned out a lot smaller than the pattern, so I'm wondering if this is because the yarn I used is a thinner yarnt hat what they did, if the hook I used was too small, or a combination of both. I mena, with the thickness yarn I used, I wonder if I could have used a larger hook and still made it tight enough (I tried with no success)

6 answers to this question

Its a combination, if the yarn and hook were both smaller than what was called for in the pattern. You can either alter the stitch count and rows to accomodate, or you can just use what was called for. You might even consider using a 100% wool in the same weight as the pattern and then felting it slightly to closeup the stitches. This will help with the 'holes'.

Good luck!

:think You generally need to use the right weight of yarn to get the size the same, then you need the hook which goes with the yarn., even if it is Knitting Needles they are giving the size for, you use the crochet hook in the same size.

:cheer What you have done is teach yourself an easy way of making something smaller.

As someone else said, double the yarn, if it is suitable to do that, and use a larger hook and you will get closer to the right size.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I love working with Japanese patterns :cheer

My mom has two big books she got while we lived in Japan, both thread books, and I hope she wills them to me when it's time for her to move on :)

Both books have some of the most amazing and beautiful doilies.

Archived